Page 132 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1766

Thread: Religion

Administrator
    You guys, I think we broke Billi. He's gone all paranoid and isn't making a whole lot of sense.

I did enjoy the “get the hell” reference for satanists.

From my (limited) knowledge of satanists, many don’t actually believe in higher powers! Big false advertising. They do tend to have a bit more “what’s in it for me” view, without being what people would call evil.

As for atheists helping children, yes there are plenty. But as pointed out above, the vast majority of atheists don’t belong to an atheist organization or even think of themselves as atheists. They don’t say “what would Charles Darwin do?”
    So asking what they are doing is probably similar to asking “what are left handed people doing?”

Religions on the other hand are based on beliefs and morals and they promote and advertise those. Is it then surprising that people get upset when the organizations and its leaders not only break these morals but seem to go to much effort to cover them up to protect the organization. They should be protecting the members, not the leaders.
    It’s the massive hypocrisy that riles people.

We're all non-stamp-collectors

Jesus didn't like the conservative religious hypocrites 2000 years ago either.

Strictly speaking 'religions' are indeed stupid. Jesus didn't come to this world to just give us another 'religion' or another 'stamp' to collect. Jesus actually delivers.

Satanists as you say are just a bunch of selfish worshippers who got the name of their leader from the Bible. I don't understand why they're so lazy that they can't write their own bible.

With regard to discipline kids, pretty sure eventually Satan will be able to convince you guys that isolating kid during a time out could cause emotional harm to the kid too...

Religion aside, do you guys believe we have more or less spoiled brats today compared to previous generations? I'm not saying we need to spank kids more, child abuse definitely won't solve that problem, but I do believe parents today are not raising their kids with proper discipline.

I don’t think kids are much different.
    Maybe they are given less unsupervised time outside, parents tend to like to know where they are, drive them there. Use to have a lot more “be home by dark”.

Behaviour wise, I don’t think much has changed, some are brats, some are good, most are good most of the time!

Never seen this guy before. A good tongue-in-cheek look at religion.

*clicks "Watch Later"

Okay, I don't have time to watch the entire video, but with regard to praying prior to our meals..., it's really mainly to have a grateful heart. By thanking God, it doesn't mean we totally ignore the cooks, retailers, farmers, butchers, the engineers who built the irrigation system, the truck drivers, the engineers who built the roads and bridges, etc. Having a grateful prayer thanking all parties involved would take nearly forever for hungry tummies. So since Christians believe the buck stops with God, we just thank Him and be over with it. Plus, this mean God could very well produce some natural disasters or incite folks to start wars... and the end result would be no food on the table, right? So there's nothing wrong with a short thankful prayer to the creator of the universe.

As for blessing the food we're about to eat, we idiot Christians just don't know if the food is organic or not... gluten free or not... poison free or not... nor do we know if it contains stuff that might be allergic to us... so we just pray that by eating this food, we hope to be able to maximize nutrient absorption and minimize getting sick! Now, if a Christian wishes to lose weight, maybe she can pray for diarrhea so that she won't gain too much weight after a meal.

Anyway, to me, these are pretty stupid complaints.

You know, for Billi, he sounded like an idiot even prior to his conversion anyway!

Lastly, I don't understand why must a person reject this holy goat herder's guide in order to learn to embrace homosexuals. There's really no biblical evidence in that goat herder's guide telling me that Jesus would not befriend a homosexual... Wife and I actually do have homosexual friends in RL. Amazingly, they are actually devout Christians. One of them actually has a job serving God as a Chaplain at a hospital. Yes, mainstream Christians still don't have wide acceptance to gays for sure, but point is, I'm pretty sure Jesus Christ himself is not homophobic. I'm also not homophobic because I love a man named Jesus!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 3rd, 2018 at 10:09 AM.

Only just read your response to my article about the prayer study Billi ...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Seriously, the study doesn't mention the 'faith' level of the patients. As you all know, faith is a key factor for 'miracles' to take place. Even Jesus can't do much with folks who have no faith.
    I think your response looks a lot like the No True Scotsman fallacy actually. Anyway ...

Faith: a strongly held belief based on no evidence, or in spite of evidence to the contrary.

In 2006 when the study was conducted around 30% (maybe even one third) of US citizens though that the bible was the literal word of the Christian god. Ignoring mountains of evidence against it (including contradictions within the bible) takes an awful lot of faith, so I don't think it's fair to say there would have been enough people in the study with enough "faith" to cause some kind of outcome. This should also be enough to overcome any kind of "doom induced" negative outcomes.

I suppose the other conclusion could be that those with "enough faith" were actually penalised by a deity that was not their own for so strongly believing the wrong thing?

In that study, there was clearly a nocebo effect going on, opposite of placebo.

Given that God doesn't exist, this nocebo effect is fascinating and should warrant further study. Or the main goal was just to prove God doesn't exist so mission accomplished and let just leave it at that? Make sure we don't knowingly pray for people so we won't endanger patients?

Or perhaps as you say there is a God, making folks suffer for whatever reasons... take His own Son for example. He prayed hard! Yet He was allowed to be tortured and crucified and God did absolutely nothing to stop it. What a cruel God!

Official goat herders guide is pretty clear. We shouldn't test God. There are also quantum experiments that end up with different results when you observe it differently.

Until we have the universe all figure out, it'll probably take a while for us to figure the creator of the universe out completely.

All I know is this, that the western civilization based themselves on that goat herders guide. Goat herders in other parts of the world also had their own guides and had awesome civilizations in the past.

After the test of time, Christianity with idiot believers seems to be working out better for some reason.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 4th, 2018 at 12:13 AM.