Page 11 of 177 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    However, point of the creation story is that God created us. I find it hard to believe that we BANGed into existence for no reason and all the physical laws and things just developed and progressed 'naturally' without any outside intervention or predetermination. Mother nature/universe is pretty awesome for sure, but I believe there must be more than that. Something that predates the universe/mother nature/Big Bang. Of course nobody knows exactly what this thing is. It is ultimately unknowable unless He reveals Himself to us. I just believe Bible is one of His revelations.
    I prefer to think of what you're talking about as pure man-made fairy tale. Organized religion mostly serves as a control mechanism to prevent people from seeking knowledge and truth on their own. Fear of reprisal (ie. going to hell) is a powerful tool to keep people in line, mostly as economic slaves, and it's sad.

As far as the origin of the the universe is concerned, I prefer the universe/multiverse sponge theory. Our universe being created as a bubble creates in a sponge. No special, mystical, spiritual meaning behind it. It just happened. I know this goes into the realm of quantum physics...which is still considered quackery, but I'll take that over some white-bearded God declaring "let there be light!"

I also prefer to think we're products of aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    Just assuming that Rob has used rational thought to determine who you are. Monkey see, monkey do. I don't even know the back story. "Z07" is quicker to type than "LHutton."

I have no idea how you can equate a society's inability to root out corruption in government, to religious people picking a handful of good stuff out of a largely evil book that purports to teach you how to live a good life. Apples, oranges.
    The equation is easy. It's obvious the corruption runs deep and we see only the tip of the iceberg and only after a 20, 30 or 40 year cooling off period as determined suitable. We know this and yet we largely choose to play along for the benefit of society.

I agree creation shouldn't be part of science class. However, it is possible to use science to back up the roughly 6000 year old universe.
    No, no it's not. There are human remains that are over 6000 years old. And other things that are millions of years older than that, on our planet. That we have physical proof of. You have ZERO proof of your theory.

Not sure if you've read any of the discussion I've had with DN a while back in another forum... A Jewish physicist figured out that since our universe is expanding and so based on Einstein's theory of relativity..., depending on where you are, age of the universe may vary! Yes, if you're inside this expanding universe, it may seem like billions of year had gone by..., but if you're outside of it... in some sort of static non-expanding state... then all those billions of years may only seem like thousands of years. So the universe is BOTH billions of years and thousands of year old. Bible 'time frame' was originally outside of the universe prior to its creation... and God only switch that time frame to earth when Adam and Eve were created.
    They can vary by a few % sure. But, not from 6 billion to 6 thousand years. That's a 1 Million percent difference. Literally. And we aren't 'somewhere else' in the universe. From where we are. right now. It's billions of years old.

#bibletime. I'm going to have to remember that. That is so fitting of something that's so made up.

However, point of the creation story is that God created us. I find it hard to believe that we BANGed into existence for no reason and all the physical laws and things just developed and progressed 'naturally' without any outside intervention or predetermination. Mother nature/universe is pretty awesome for sure, but I believe there must be more than that. Something that predates the universe/mother nature/Big Bang. Of course nobody knows exactly what this thing is. It is ultimately unknowable unless He reveals Himself to us. I just believe Bible is one of His revelations.
    You find the Banging into existence, which we again have physical proof of, hard to believe... Yet, you'll believe a book written by a bunch of farmers a few thousand years ago, that got a lot of stuff wrong mind you, as acceptable evidence of your god?

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    I prefer to think of what you're talking about as pure man-made fairy tale. Organized religion mostly serves as a control mechanism to prevent people from seeking knowledge and truth on their own. Fear of reprisal (ie. going to hell) is a powerful tool to keep people in line, mostly as economic slaves, and it's sad.

As far as the origin of the the universe is concerned, I prefer the universe/multiverse sponge theory. Our universe being created as a bubble creates in a sponge. No special, mystical, spiritual meaning behind it. It just happened. I know this goes into the realm of quantum physics...which is still considered quackery, but I'll take that over some white-bearded God declaring "let there be light!"

I also prefer to think we're products of aliens.
    So where do aliens come from? We can always go further back and ask where that Big Bang came from?

God is perhaps ultimately unreachable just as infinity is unreachable. It's not of our realm, but we know what infinity represents. We can't get to it, but we have an abstract idea of what it is. Same goes with the concept of God. Ultimately the buck stops with God. There's nobody and nothing before God. He was is and forever will be.

"Let there be light" or the Big Balla Bang are both equally mystifying. We don't know how it happened. Perhaps someday scientists will be able to figure out. Perhaps someday I'll be able to ask God about in heaven. For now, we just don't know. You are free to believe what you want... and nobody can prove you wrong.

Religion can definitely be misused, just as anything in this world could be misused or abused..., but just because something could be misused, then we ought to ban it? If that's the case, we need to ban pretty much everything man made! So while I acknowledge the evils of organized religion, can we also examine the good part of religion?

Did Jesus Christ really came here to keep people in line as economic slaves? Even as the world has became less and less religious, do you really see us as less of economic slaves? The 99% are still slaving away for the 1%... it's just that we don't call them "slaves" anymore. Workers willingly enter into slave shops to work with very low pay and harsh environments. So yipee, we've abolished slavery! Anyway, one can't really blame the modern day "slaves" working in sweat shops in US or Mexico or China on religion now, right? Surely all those corporations are not all Christian owned, right?

Some form of powerful organization will always be able to find ways to control the mass... if religion as a tool no longer works.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 21st, 2014 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid
    You find the Banging into existence, which we again have physical proof of, hard to believe...
    To be fair, we have physical proof of the Big Bang that's only physical proof in a tangential way that's barely understandable to the average person and not at all measurable by them. Doesn't mean it isn't true, but it's very easy to decide not to believe it because there are so many links in the chain between "our test was successful" and it being proof of something that happened 13 billion years ago.
    Get that weak shit off my track

But to be fair to scientists, they do have way more tangential proofs than the Bible. Bible offers no proofs. Everything's faith based.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    No, no it's not. There are human remains that are over 6000 years old. And other things that are millions of years older than that, on our planet. That we have physical proof of. You have ZERO proof of your theory.
    No proof, but that Jewish physicist used Einstein's theory of general relativity to show that our universe could be BOTH billions and thousands of years old... depending on where you are relative to the expanding universe. The expansion makes you feel like you're in an old universe..., but if you're outside of that expansion, that expanding universe is only thousands of years old. He didn't just used the bible and said God said so. The guy actually used scientific theory and made calculations to show people that it is possible.

They can vary by a few % sure. But, not from 6 billion to 6 thousand years. That's a 1 Million percent difference. Literally. And we aren't 'somewhere else' in the universe. From where we are. right now. It's billions of years old.

#bibletime. I'm going to have to remember that. That is so fitting of something that's so made up.
    Remember time is relative. Inside it, everything seems old. Outside the expanding universe, not quite so. God is somebody outside of our universe for He supposedly created it.

You find the Banging into existence, which we again have physical proof of, hard to believe... Yet, you'll believe a book written by a bunch of farmers a few thousand years ago, that got a lot of stuff wrong mind you, as acceptable evidence of your god?
    By faith, yes.

Look, scientific theories had been evolving over the ages. People used to think universe is static and had no beginning.

However, Bible always claimed universe had a beginning... and it began with 'light'. Matches pretty will with the Big Bang theory, when our universe just burst in out of nowhere started off with just pure energy... and then everything fell into place. Remember, this Bang couldn't be too weak or too powerful... if it didn't bang in the way that it banged... our universe wouldn't form properly. Somebody controlling it or pure luck? Whatever you want to believe.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 21st, 2014 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Rejoicing (or even mourning) a person's death has no impact. It's entirely for your benefit. I will say that the world just got a little bit better though.
    I'm going to agree with that. Someone who pursues something so trivial with such malice is of no benefit.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    billion years ago.
    Is that 10 the 9th or to the the 12th?
    acket.