Page 13 of 177 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Whoever wrote the bible for sure didn't know what he's talking about
    That is probably the best description.
    Which is surprising when it's meant to be words from the omniscient.

You don't think Big Bang began with a big flash of light?
    Definitely not.
    It's a well established part of the theory that light couldn't travel any distance in the early universe.
    It was opaque.
    Only later if expanded did light have a chance to travel, we see that today as the cosmic background radiation.

Perhaps we're both correct, just as our universe can be both 6000 yrs old and 13 billion years old at the same time depending on how you look at it.
    That 6000 years old is rubbish, a parkour trick.
    I explained in the other thread it is a pointless trick as you could make it come up with any number you like.

Time inside our universe only has meaning inside the universe. It is a property of the universe itself.
    You can't take it out, freeze it and then drop it back in and say "look time moved differently"

Even so, how do you explain human cultures that are more than 6000 years old?
    They are pre Adam and Eve.
    Of cause the bible could be right and us poor man got the calc wrong and the 7 days of creation actually ended 50,000 years ago.
    Wouldn't it be so helpful if this very busy god sent down a memo to clarify some big mistakes that millions of his followers have perpetuated for many hundreds of years.
    Hello god, anyone home? When did you take that day off?
    Why are kangaroos only in Australia?
    How come you reused so much ape DNA in Adam?
    Last edited by Dicknose; March 22nd, 2014 at 03:35 PM.

I grow tired of a certain persons bullshit.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    It was analogous to [an unsolved analogy]
    That's dishonest, once.
    But when your analogies form a systemic denial of reason, that's evil man. Wicked evil.
    acket.

Wanna Fight?
    Adam and Eve were not created with flaws or evil. They were good.

They simply took a wrong turn by making a poor choice and fell into a pit of sin.
    So they were made in the image of the perfect being but were able to make "poor choices".

Not very well made then, were they?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    So they were made in the image of the perfect being but were able to make "poor choices".

Not very well made then, were they?
    Allowing His creations to have freewill was just part of the design. God created images of God, not perfect little Gods. I can agree God didn't make us to be perfect, but I think we're pretty well made. Even from a secular point of view, we're at least more well made than other life forms on earth, right?

Wanna Fight?
    You're still making claims without a shred of evidence. Prove there was a design without referring once to any book written by men purporting to be relaying the words of a god you have no evidence for.

My life improved immeasurably when I stopped getting involved in political and philosophical arguments on the Internet.

Rob, you should be on XBL playing GTA. It's a more productive use of your time than wasting brain cells on Billi.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    You're still making claims without a shred of evidence. Prove there was a design without referring once to any book written by men purporting to be relaying the words of a god you have no evidence for.
    Yes, I'm merely stating my belief, so my claim is faith based. I'm not trying to prove anything. I do agree that I have no rock solid evidence. You don't have to believe what I believe or whatever the bible's saying if you don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500 View Post
    How interesting. Can you back this up with links?

These "wise men of the past" (who are they?), why did they not ridicule Mesopotamian mythology, which influenced Genesis, instead?

Or did you really think that Christianity is the only religion with a creation myth? Or even the earliest religion with a creation myth?

Also, what Mario said. If being a good person means spending eternity in the presence of people like Crazed_Insanity, well hello Evil! *wears linen and wool and eats an owl*
    http://www.sps.ch/artikel/geschichte...he_universe_4/

From static to expanding world models

Until about 1930 almost everybody believed that the Universe was static, in spite of the two fundamental papers by Friedmann [12] in 1922 and 1924 and Lemaître's independent work [13] in 1927. These path breaking papers were in fact largely ignored. The history of this early period has - as is often the case - been distorted by some widely read documents. Einstein too accepted the idea of an expanding Universe only much later.

As you can see pretty much the entire scientific community believed universe was static and doesn't have a begining until early 1900s. How do you think people in the scientific community would view the Christian view of an universe with a beginning back then?

Now, I'm not saying Judeo-Christian religion is the ONLY religion with creation 'myths'. Just telling you that a universe with a beginning was probably a laughable idea to a lot of scholars and intellectuals up until early 1900. Only a dumb ass Christian would believe the bible's claim of universe having a beginning.

And it's real interesting that I'm being painted as 'evil' simply for my belief. But I suppose God can also see me a 'righteous' simply because of my belief too. I think how God sees me is probably more important of how other people see me...

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar