Page 130 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1766

Thread: Religion

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    The point is that the church is showing no compassion for the teenage rape victim who was raped by one of their leaders.

The problem is siding with the rapists and not their victims.

This is the same problem that I have with the Catholic Church. For decades they have simply moved the molesting priests around rather than give them up to authorities.

The update disputes your point.

But you've already made up your mind that all Christians are lying judgmental assholes anyway so it doesn't matter. The entire church probably should be locked away along with that rapist.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

Can't help but laugh at the fundamentalist Christians claiming that the solar eclipse is a product of intelligent design because the sun and moon appear to be almost the same size when observed from Earth.

It's a spectacular cosmic event that you want to look at but, if you do, it will silently burn your eyes out.

Great design. I wonder how many of our ancestors went blind?

I was going to say, (but didn't want to revive this thread, glad you did though ), that I was watching some nonsense about some cataclysmic event supposedly happening on September 23rd, with yesterday's eclipse being sort of a foreshadowing event. All religious nonsense I stumbled upon a couple of weeks ago on YouTube, while watching eclipse related videos.

Same concept as 2012, and every other doomsday type scenario these religious nutjobs go crazy over. And then when nothing happens you don't hear from them again...until the next date is arbitrarily chosen.

The end is near. Believers believe Jesus is coming back soon, we just don't know exactly when. Bible is clear that anyone who put a date on it is just bogus...

Anyway, likewise Elon Musk believes humanity will eventually come to an end soon so he wants to build a colony on mars to ensure survival of human species.

Whatever angle you want to look at this, on a comic time scale, humanity will soon cease to exist one way or another. The end really is very near if you look at it from a comic time scale...

Now, how come earth is this far from the sun? How come moon looks the same size as the sun? Do you really know the answers?

I'm sure back in the days, people can laugh at folks who think earth is round and revolves around the sun.

My recommendation for my self is that only have the last laugh if I'm pretty sure that I know the right answers.

Administrator
    The moon doesn't always look the same size as the sun. In fact, I'd wager that it rarely does. It depends on how far away it is at the time of the eclipse - you can't really tell if it looks larger than the sun (and it did in this case, if they were exactly the same size then totality would have only lasted for an instant, not for a couple of minutes), and annular eclipses are also a thing.

The moon hasn't always been the same relative size as the sun and it won't remain that size.
    It's slowly moving away, so go back a billion years and it was much bigger (and tides larger). Also the sun is slowly getting larger.
    Go into the future and the moon will be further away and relatively smaller, less total eclipses, more annular eclipses and eventually no more total.
    Estimates are between 500 million years and 1.2 billion years. Hard to know exactly when, there could be a long period with extremely rare total eclipses (like one every thousand years)

So yes we are at an unusual point in history, but it's such a huge time window (billions years or so) when the moon and sun are relatively the same size, that's is not much of a coincidence.

BURN THE WITCH!