Page 143 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1766

Thread: Religion

Whoever committed sins against little ones should be sent to Jesus immediately so that he can deliver the fairest judgement...

I dont think the length of the sentance is critical - as you said considering his age its a big sentence. I presume he will be a model prisoner and get earliest parole.
    Its mostly about him being found guilty and the fallout that will cause for the system.

If the sentence had been very small (say <1 year) then there probably would be a big outcry. Might still be some, but I think it seems reasonable.

And of cause, there is a still an appeal to be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Whoever committed sins against little ones should be sent to Jesus immediately so that he can deliver the fairest judgement...
    Luckily we dont have that here...

If you really believe in a heaven and hell, then it shouldnt matter if they wait a bit, eternity is a long time.

Junior Potato
    I prefer to see our convicted paedophiles handed over to the State to see only an hour of sunlight a day for the rest of their days, eating prison food, and breathing stale gaol cell air.

If he gets out on parole Pell will likely have to live in Australia and wear an ankle bracelet. And maybe even knock on the doors of all his new neighbours and inform them that he’s a convicted sex offender as required by his parole. That’ll really shake up the good citizens in the very affluent suburb of Toorak.

"I am De Jesus!"

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar

Okay, nothing religious for too long, so need to post something here...

Terry Crews is a long time member of the church I currently attend. During father's day weekend, pastor asked him to give his testimony. Ain't no sermons nor anything super natural, just him and his wife crediting their current success, from their humble... or perhaps even messed up beginnings, to Jesus! Anyway, if you have 30 min to kill, I'd highly recommend this.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    So...jumping back into this thread because my fiancee is filipino and like a vast majority of filipinos, a bit religious.

She knows from the start that I am not very religious and that I did go to 6 years of Christian school, and it's been nothing like a point of contention. She goes to a non-denominational church (same as Manny Pacquiao apparently) and I've been a few times...no problem.

However this time, her mom, who is a lovely woman and very happy with me, did give me the "speech" of heaven vs hell, taking Jesus as the saviour, etc. etc. and I just smiled and agreed.

That doesn't bother me as I expected it from the get-go. My girl hasn't said much about it, other than I should read the info she gave me, it's fine.

I just don't want to put a wedge between us if she forces the issue...as my ideas of religion differ from hers and I don't know if she's going to push things.

I've agreed to find a church here in Florida that we can go to, and I can "play along" with it...but I do want to gently explain why I have some issues.

Her mom basically had the "choose Jesus or go to hell" thing which is ironic looking at my post above. Her mom lived in Japan and has friends there....I don't want to push this, but if my girl asks why I'm not as religious, one thing I can bring up is, since we've been to Japan:

"Christianity is known in Japan, but 97% of Japanese people aren't Christian...so if they're aware of it, but still don't pledge themselves to Jesus or Christianity, does that mean they will burn in hell for all eternity, even if they are a good person?"

Administrator
    That'd be tough. I was politely asked by my wife to just refer to myself as "agnostic" when going through the process of becoming godparents to her cousin's daughter - I don't mind doing it but I did find it vaguely amusing that they were okay with an agnostic going through the whole catholic ritual of becoming a godparent but wouldn't be okay with an atheist, but if I was expected to start going to church, I think that'd bug me. Not that the church itself would bug, but that's valuable videogame time that that'd be taking up.

I wish I've had better luck with that type of argument (maybe not the right term, but you know what I mean). I've rarely found that to much make of a dent if someone is hell-bent enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    So...jumping back into this thread because my fiancee is filipino and like a vast majority of filipinos, a bit religious.

She knows from the start that I am not very religious and that I did go to 6 years of Christian school, and it's been nothing like a point of contention. She goes to a non-denominational church (same as Manny Pacquiao apparently) and I've been a few times...no problem.

However this time, her mom, who is a lovely woman and very happy with me, did give me the "speech" of heaven vs hell, taking Jesus as the saviour, etc. etc. and I just smiled and agreed.

That doesn't bother me as I expected it from the get-go. My girl hasn't said much about it, other than I should read the info she gave me, it's fine.

I just don't want to put a wedge between us if she forces the issue...as my ideas of religion differ from hers and I don't know if she's going to push things.

I've agreed to find a church here in Florida that we can go to, and I can "play along" with it...but I do want to gently explain why I have some issues.

Her mom basically had the "choose Jesus or go to hell" thing which is ironic looking at my post above. Her mom lived in Japan and has friends there....I don't want to push this, but if my girl asks why I'm not as religious, one thing I can bring up is, since we've been to Japan:

"Christianity is known in Japan, but 97% of Japanese people aren't Christian...so if they're aware of it, but still don't pledge themselves to Jesus or Christianity, does that mean they will burn in hell for all eternity, even if they are a good person?"
    Of course it does and as someone who had a religious upbringing if you think that is going to cause an genuinely Christian person a moments reflection you’re sorely mistaken. If you want to explain it to the fiancé it’s simple, you just say you don’t believe. That’s it, nothing more. For the rest about going to church, dealing with mother etc it’s no different to mowing the lawns or painting the house a colour you don’t like. If you’re happy with the compromise then go for it, if not, don’t.