Page 148 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1766

Thread: Religion

Although I’m not really catholic, but sure feel bad for the Catholic Church... first it happened in France... now it happened in my neighborhood. The mission was renovating in preparation for its 250th anniversary... and again, the roof burned down...

It survived 249 years and our crazy fireworks celebration, but not another renovation? Of course the cause is still under investigation. Whatever the cause, the fire sucks...

https://www.psypost.org/2020/07/new-...sion-57490/amp

Atheists tend to suppress emotions, particularly positive ones? Does this ring true to you atheists?

I would guess that there are some religious belief systems which suppress some emotions, too...

Im probably not the best person to comment as Ive been accused of being an emotionless robot!
    That is more about me as a personality than it is about my religious beliefs.

Its possible that religious people have a positive group experience that lets them express positive emotions.
    I dont think there is any denying that most religious social groups can be a positive experience, that is one of the strong points of religion. And that atheists dont have the same social system (well generally not as a collective of atheists)

There are (or used to be) some basically near-Atheist people who go to church mostly for the social interaction.

My late uncle really enjoyed singing in the church choir. But could do good solos in the pub too. And professed no deep beliefs. (i.e. explicitly a lack of deep beliefs)
    Last edited by SportWagon; July 28th, 2020 at 04:48 PM.

Administrator
    I don't think my sample size is good enough on this, as I don't really know a whole lot of atheists personally (or maybe I do, I don't really make it a point to find out people's religious affiliations). I wouldn't say that my family is overall repressed in their emotions, especially compared to many of my friends' descriptions of their families. My father probably is, but I think that's more a Norwegian thing than a religious thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    I would guess that there are some religious belief systems which suppress some emotions, too...
    Yes, Buddhism! In a way, Buddhism is more agnostic than theistic...

Are there any other theistic religions that frown upon emotions?

Anyway, that study itself admit its own limitations, but I thought the findings kinda make sense!

This is why people like DN gravitate toward science more. Science seeks the truth without the need to involve any emotions whatsoever! Unless you study psychology?

People’s personality will pretty much steer them toward a particular political or religious affiliation... that’s not to say some could perhaps break out of their molds, but knowing someone’s personality, it makes predicting such affiliations easier.

If you believe rational reasoning trumps emotions, even positive emotions, naturally that’ll make it harder for you to believe in a God. However, I think emotions and reasons don’t have to be mutually exclusive. We need both.

Similarly I believe our world needs both liberals and conservatives in order to be healthy. Even when we drive, we don’t always turn left or turn right...

Administrator
    I think science is a method of trying to discern the truth outside of emotion, that's true. I don't think that believing in science means not being emotional though. Computer Science isn't quite the same as traditional science, but I would say that while the computer doesn't give a shit what my emotions are, I get pretty elated when something I design works and pretty bummed when it doesn't. Also, I don't have any numbers in front of me but it's certain not unheard of for scientists to be religious. Science is trying to get to the bottom of how the universe works, and that's valid whether or not you believe there was a creator of it.

Yes, that's what I meant, science being just a method for digging for truth without the need for emotions, I didn't mean that scientists themselves are incapable of emotions. For sure scientists can be very emotional and there are definitely scientists who believe in God. Science and faith don't have to be mutually exclusive...

However, I think it's safe to say that currently if we were to survey all people who claim to be scientists, athiests or agnostics would be of greater numbers than theists.