Page 73 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    God chose them not because they're better than us, but only because of the promises made to their faithful ancestors.
    It bugs me because it sounds exclusionary. I even read on a Jewish website once the stringent requirements for one to convert to Judaism. It doesn't help that they frown on the whole idea of anyone else joining their religion to begin with.

According to Jews' own scripture, God's stringent requirements are for us to act justly, love mercy and humbly follow Him. (Micah 6:8)

If you act unjustly, show no mercy, and stubbornly refuse to follow God, then yeah, you'll be excluded.

Whether being included or excluded, it'll be up to us. We don't need Jews' permission to follow God. The world's most famous Jews (Jesus Christ) has cleared a way to make it easy for the rest of us to get to know God better.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    In other news, 700+ people have died in a stampede during a pilgrimage near Mecca....but it's ok though, because if you die on your pilgrimage you go to heaven...so who needs logic and safety?
    That is kind of an unfair statement, the organizers there are considered world leaders in planning and safety for massive events. It's not like rock festivals in Europe haven't had any casualties in the last ten years.
    acket.

This just in! Scientists have discovered God's universal healthcare for all. You only need to believe that He loves you and would forgive your sins in order to sign up.

http://www.spring.org.uk/2015/10/the...d-and-body.php

Of course this could all be placebo effect at work. But then again, maybe God designed our mind body to work under the 'placebo effect'!

Lastly, if only that Oregon shooter isn't so anti-Christian, therefore most likely doesn't believe God loves him and probably couldn't care less whether to forgive his sins... maybe his mental condition could be reversed?

If we can't change gun laws and can't increase healthcare for the mentally troubled, the best solution is probably the gospel.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; October 6th, 2015 at 08:26 AM.

I like Betty Bowers (or whoever she really is) - she normally takes quite a clever angle.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I know that I had started an un-religion thread at one time, but it didn't seem to do much beyond the main religion thread...so I'm going to do some un-religious thoughts here

Basically as you may recall, I have become mostly atheist...though I do like buddhism for practical purposes. In my mind, whether there is or was a supreme being that created all of us has practically nothing to do with humans feeble attempt to create a belief system around it.

One problem I've had is trying to date women, and trying to find non-religious ones. Sometimes when I tell them I am no longer religious, they ask why.

I have often tried to come up with some simple, quick rationalizations about why I'm not religious without being too abstract and making people upset, etc.

So if I may, I wanted to post some thoughts about how to explain my un-religiousness in an easy way. It's still a work in progress.

Humans are not bound as much by logic as they should be. There are currently billions of people in the world who believe in things that are ENTIRELY untrue. So if I was to ask someone, what religion do you believe in, and it falls into one of the 5 major religions, Christianity, Islam, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist.

Let's say they choose Islam, the fun one right now. I would then say, so if you believe in Islam, then you don't believe in hinduism right? or buddhism? etc.?

So your religion is correct and those ~4 Billion people are believing in a lie...falsehoods, a divine power that doesn't actually exist?

I'm sure you've heard of these other religions, right? If you heard more evidence about them, would you switch? No? why not?

- This is dealing with the fundamental flaw in humans, trusting our upbringing and "instincts" vs. hard facts, logic and reason. Even if there was another religion, let's just say for argument that had more evidence of it being the correct one...honestly how many people would actually switch?

I wonder what the number of people changing religions is...it has to be very low in my assumption, especially if we talk about Jewish/Christian/Islam, it's not a huge jump anyway. If you jumped from, say Judaism to Hinduism, that would be weird.

My point is, religion is deeply entrenched in people's lives...often from birth. Imagine if we didn't have any religion until we turned 18 or 21 and were told, here are the most popular belief systems, see which one is most fitting for you.....sounds a lot different doesn't it?

I realize someone had a quote about most people stopped believing in many gods, and atheists just went one god further.