Page 90 of 177 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion

Helicopters are religious. They all have a Jesus Bolt.

Kchrpm, I understand you're only disrespecting the messenger... a better analogy is probably a broken record than a broken clock, right? If you know a clock is broken, yet it end up giving you multiple times the correct times, then that would be screwy, right? Whereas a broken record may be spewing out the truth, but its repetitiveness causes folks to want to just filter it out out of annoyance... so I get what you're saying.

Bible and Jesus has remained the same yesterday, today and in the future as well. They are at definitely at risk of being perceived as a broken record. But if you examined and understood the true *pointes* Bible and God wants to deliver, then it wouldn't sound so annoying.

Bible is also not about making sense analytically. It won't teach us how to build things. I can't really go to the bible if I want to invent something. I can perhaps only look for inspirations, but might as well just look at God's handyworks in nature. Bible just said that God designed and created the birds. Without them, humanity probably won't ever get inspired to invent planes. Or, if evolution didn't luck out and evolved birds, we might not get inspired to fly. Which ever version of the theory you wish to believe.

But anyway, considering Jesus also walked on water and flew away, it's probably only a matter of time before we figure out how to do likewise!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 4th, 2016 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Kchrpm, I understand you're only disrespecting the messenger... a better analogy is probably a broken record than a broken clock, right?
    Nope, broken clock. If a clock is stuck at 2:45, it will be right whenever I check for the time at 2:45 am and 2:45 pm. That doesn't mean it's right if I check it for anything else.

A growing number of people believe that yes, the Bible is right if you check it for certain things, but wrong for the vast majority. Therefore it cannot be trusted overall, and anyone who believes something to be true simply because it's in the Bible cannot be trusted overall.

No more than I could trust someone with a broken watch to tell me what time it is, even though they'll be right twice a day.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Bible just said that God designed and created the birds. Without them, humanity probably won't ever get inspired to invent planes. Or, if evolution didn't luck out and evolved birds, we might not get inspired to fly. Which ever version of the theory you wish to believe.
    Has man ever been able to fly the way that birds do, by flapping wings? We figured out simple principles from experience and experimentation. Even if we never saw animals flying, someone would have noticed the same phenomenon I did as a kid: get going fast enough on a bike/boat/car/plane and stick your hand flat into the wind and it will push it up or down based on the angle you have your hand.

WITCHCRAFT!!!

growing # of folks "believe" vast majority of the bible is wrong?

Can you just give me a few examples?
    Ideally, we should try to tear down the bible wrongness using proven analytical means... Not just with beliefs.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 4th, 2016 at 09:03 AM.

That God created everything, Adam and Eve were the first humans, the whole universe is 6000 years old, gay people shouldn't allowed to be married, heaven and hell exist, divorce shouldn't be allowed, Jesus Christ is the son of God, Jesus Christ walked on water, a man named Noah built a huge boat which two of every animal on Earth traveled to so they could be on during a flood, that God has complete control over everything that happens and it's all part of his plan, etc.

Basically the number, if not percentage, of non-Christian adults is rising.

List of actions prohibited in the Bible, some of which are considered by fundamentalist Christians to be punishable by death: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of...d_by_the_Bible

Some of the things listed on here would be frowned upon/discouraged/whatever by those considering things analytically. Others (including eating a cheeseburger, mixing material in clothing, and trimming your sideburns) would not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    That God created everything, Adam and Eve were the first humans, the whole universe is 6000 years old, gay people shouldn't allowed to be married, heaven and hell exist, divorce shouldn't be allowed, Jesus Christ is the son of God, Jesus Christ walked on water, a man named Noah built a huge boat which two of every animal on Earth traveled to so they could be on during a flood, that God has complete control over everything that happens and it's all part of his plan, etc.

Basically the number, if not percentage, of non-Christian adults is rising.
    1) God created everything- This is something cannot be proven either way. Christians believe God, atheists can believe whatever they want to believe.Nobody can analytically prove Bible must be wrong that God doesn't exist and universe doesn't need God to create anything.
    2)Science has shown that modern humans all came from the same singular mother. Whether her name is Eve or not, of course that also cannot be proven.
    3)Our universe could indeed only be both around 6000 years old and 1.4 billion years old depending on your reference frame. Using Einstien's theory of relativity, if you're inside the universe, it can certainly feel like universe is 1.4 billion years old. However, if you're outside of this expanding universe or if our universe doesn't ever expand, then the age of our universe would be just about 6000 years old.
    4)Bible never specifically banned gay marriage. It banned gay sex... it also banned premarital sex and out of wed lock sex. They're all sins. However, Bible also indicated that love can cover up all sins. Gay marriages are not ideal... just as in the old days God also 'allowed' for polygamous marriages. The ideal marriage according to the bible is 1 man and 1 woman, but of course in this world, we often have to be real and can't always live up to that ideal.
    5) heaven and hell exist- even in a non-literal sense, we can often see heaven and hell on earth. Is there a literal heaven and hell or after life? Again, difficult to prove either way.
    6)divorce shouldn't be allowed-Again, loving marriage is the ideal, but sometimes we gotta be real. Plenty of Christians have gotten divorced. We're only human. Still, whenever we decide to enter into marriage, should we really be prepared for a divorce? It really shouldn't just be a contract that we can just cancel it lightly.
    7)Jesus is Son of God, Noah's Ark, etc- again, who can prove these? We can only chose to believe it or not.

Lastly, when majority are Christians, it doesn't prove Bible is indeed true, just that most people believe it to be true.
    Likewise, when majority are atheists, it also doesn't prove Bible to be false.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 4th, 2016 at 11:21 AM.

The point is that saying something is true simply "because the Bible says so," when there are several things in the Bible (including those listed and more) that the person you're talking to does not believe to be true and/or rational, then your audience is likely to think you are not a rational person.

The majority of people believing anything doesn't make it true. It does mean, however, that if you're trying to convince that majority of something, you can't just use something they don't believe in as proof.

It'd be like me going to a Christian and telling them they should change their lifestyle based solely on what it says they should do in the Quran. You'll be receptive of anything that meshes with what you already believe, but you will question anything that clashes with it, and if the only support they have for their viewpoint is "the Quran says so," you will not take that as enough to accept it.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; February 4th, 2016 at 11:33 AM.