Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: SLM's thread of Lotus. I think I have some other cars too (??)

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...ry.html#page=1

People below the age of 30 are much more likely to identify with their mobile and computing devices than the cars," said Arun Sundararajan, a professor of information, operations and management sciences at New York University. "Autos just aren't the identity-making purchase that they once were.
    Ha... Haha... Hahahahahahahahaha.

IMG_0925.jpg
    Last edited by Sad, little man; July 13th, 2015 at 04:33 PM.

I bet he doesn't know how to drive a stick.

I love how they quote a professor of something that doesn't have to do with anything as if he's the expert on automotive tastes.

Even so, if he is right, perhaps if everyone stopped cramming themselves into all of these aborted SUVs we might actually be able to regain a passion for automobiles as opposed to the apathy we're facing.

It may sound funny to those of us who still love cars, but there is a growing percentage of people in younger generations that think cars are more of a hassle than a privilege. Tight cities like NYC vs suburbs and Midwest skew that, things like Uber, the ever increasing cost of new cars and decrease in people under 25 with well paying jobs, and on and on.

An ever increasing number of people have been seeing vehicles as appliances for a long time, can't expect kids to get excited about appliances. They do get excited about electric cars that they could just plug in and that drive themselves, though.

In conclusion, the solution is cheap electric cars with automated highway driving but fun handling, and more jobs.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Young people still want to buy new cars, it's just that affording them gets in the way.

Since, you know, high student loan debt and stagnant wages have a tendency of getting in the way of purchasing things that cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Also, I think a lot of younger people are moving into the city instead of the suburbs. Which negates the need for a car. I didn't have one for 2.5 years living in Chicago. Public transport got us around the city. We just used a car-share whenever we needed to go out of town or something. And almost everything can be delivered now-a-days, even groceries.

I still got the itch to go drive every few months. But if I would have been raised in this type of setting, I don't think I'd see it the same way.

If it looks anything like that concept they made a few years ago, then this news doesn't excite me.

Strange times for a machine of this caliber indeed. Can a vehicle of this pedigree exist within a life that continually moves towards the simpler, the less perfect, the less concerned with appearances?

_MG_3170.jpg

Good to see the Michigan weather has finally warmed up enough to get this out of the garage.