Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SLM's thread of Lotus. I think I have some other cars too (??)

Well when the average house costs about the same as an off-lease 328i, where will the tax money come from to fix the streets?

You see similar roads in the coal region.

Eh, areas of Detroit are screwed but there are plenty of middle and upper class cities around it, I don't know if it's that easy.

*checks* the median house value in Michigan is $116,500, which is near the bottom of the state averages, so yeah, I guess that would lead to the M-road upkeep being underfunded. Who pays for local roads, local or state government?
    Get that weak shit off my track

Get that weak shit off my track

Each county has their own "Road Commission" and in the more rural areas a "work crew" will consist of one guy in a truck who is hoping that some dumb ass doesn't plow into him.

Local government pays for the roads that aren't state roads, US routes, or interstates. Within city limits it's the city, outside city limits it's the county.

Even though Detroit has some nice suburbs, unless they are within Detroit city limits, their taxes won't go to the city. It's a common issue in PA where cities can't annex their suburbs and so a place like Harrisburg has a metro area close to 800,000 people with some affluent suburbs but the city itself is under 50,000 people, a third of the land is taken up by state government which pays no property tax, and other than Restaurant Row on Second Street and the gay neighborhood (Shipoke) the residents are dirt poor and the real estate is almost worthless, so the city has very little tax income. They used to get by on parking fees in the city garages, but the incinerator debacle swamped them. But the problem is not that different in other cities.

Might vary a bit by state but that's the setup in every place I've spent enough time to care.
    Last edited by KillerB; March 29th, 2014 at 08:19 AM.

So, wait, if we legalize mary jane we can levy taxes and then use that money to run the government????

Mind. Blown.

Why did we do this sooner???

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post

Why did we do this sooner???
    Because they were too busy smoking up?

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Even though Detroit has some nice suburbs, unless they are within Detroit city limits, their taxes won't go to the city.
    Yeah, I was assuming my friend's flats were happening in her suburb, not Detroit, but I never asked because I don't really care that much.

Yeah, I'm talking suburbs here. The roads in Detroit itself being awful is just a given. Anyway... IT'S FINALLY LOTUS TIME!!!

Of course, as soon as I decided to take it out for its first real drive of the year, the right turn signal popped out of the body going over a bump. Luckily the wiring harness kept it from completely falling off of the car.

I can't really blame our roads for this. It's a known issue. The little tabs that hold the turn signals in are kind of cheesy and break easily. I used this workaround to fix the problem:

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elis...catorlens.html

In conclusion... When driving and owning an Elise, you must always remember that Lotus engineers weren't all that concerned with designing any part of the car that isn't involved in acceleration, braking, or handling.

IMG_0750.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    In conclusion... When driving and owning an Elise, you must always remember that Lotus engineers weren't all that concerned with designing any part of the car that isn't involved in acceleration, braking, or handling.
    Sounds like my experience with a BMW