Page 87 of 91 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast

Thread: Science

Junior Potato
    Well we only consider the Planck length (of both space and time) to be the smallest 'resolution' that the universe can muster, because for us we cannot measure anything smaller. It's not because it's the smallest, it's because our measuring tools are only good for that size. Anything smaller is meaningless. There lies our limit of understanding of the smallest scale of the universe.

But having an outside simulation seems unprovable to me anyway. It's an interesting idea (and pushing the bounds of science is all about exploring these ideas) but not one that will help us find the mechanism behind it all.

One argument against searching the simulation.
    What if we are a part of a some sort of a blinded experiment.

Planck unit is not the smallest.
    It's the smallest that can be real.
    Smaller than Planck is still bigger than nothing.
    (it's quantum stuff)

I remember reading that time has no resolution but can't find it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holometer
    "What we’re looking for is when the lasers lose step with each other. We’re trying to detect the smallest unit in the universe. This is really great fun, a sort of old-fashioned physics experiment where you don’t know what the result will be."

Somewhere Susskind offered to slit his own throat if Hogan finds the pixel.

Saw this great video on the Cavendish Experiment. This is a centuries old experiment which established the gravitational constant, aka big G. It was truly amazing to watch the bar with weights oscillate, and then immediately reverse in mid-oscillation when the bricks were planted. Especially when the video was sped up. It was eye opening.

I always heard about this experiment but never really understood it, but seeing the effect of gravitational force in front of your eyes is wonderful. Everyone (except idiotic flat earthers) accepts gravity, but obviously with it being a 4D concept, it's impossible to actually visualize. This is probably the closest we can get to seeing mass attracting mass. Fascinating stuff!

Now if I just understood the maths derived from it...that part is way over my head. How they calculated G and also the mass of the earth.

Administrator
    I've often wondered about that, mostly due to Thor Heyerdahl's hypothesis about how it was possible for people to traverse oceans long before we think they were able to, and the similarities I see between Mexican/central American and southeast Asian cuisines.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Did you see the high mark at the top of one of the cross-genome figures?

That's for the mixe (pronounced mij-hay) ethnic group. They've long been known as a linguistic semi-isolate, and in their own history they've told of being migrants across the isthmus.

But they're not the only group, there's also the Ikoot who were pushed to live on the margins of the mesoamerican dead sea; not much is known about them, except that they were late comers and that they were generally excluded from precolumbian geopolitics. In the lingua Franca of their time they were called Huave, the spoilt by water.
    acket.

So you’re related to Moana?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Probably.
    acket.

Yep, I can definitely see the resemblance between you and FoxxyMoana.

Junior Potato
    Finding evidence of a viral pandemic that lasted for 15 million years… by looking at our own DNA.

Genetics is weird.