Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 397987888990 LastLast

Thread: Science

I think the Australian Navy was sending some ships with supplies. They are good at this sort of stuff, bring in water purifiers, build some temp housing, rebuild roads and other facilities.

I presume the only comms are via satellite phones. Internet would be tricky, not sure if they have any satellite systems and where those would link to (geostationary probably visible from Auckland NZ)
    Starlink wouldn't help, needs a local link station which would also suffer from the outage. Yeah Starlink is really just a local relay via satellites.

Junior Potato
    I heard on the radio that there is a major oil spill at an offshore refinery in the area of the volcano. The Tongan government will be asking the oil company to pay for damages and clean the mess.

Administrator
    Also sounds like the Peruvian government is none too pleased. Not sure if it's that oil is washing up on their shores or if there's some other involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Also sounds like the Peruvian government is none too pleased. Not sure if it's that oil is washing up on their shores or if there's some other involvement.
    Ahhh... the refinery is off the coast of Peru!
    I thought it weird that
    a - Tonga would have a refinery
    b - an oil spill would travel 10,000kms

So it was waves that caused a ship unloading (crude oil?) to spill. All happening in Peru, except for the waves coming from Tonga.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...energy-record/

We are like 30% of the way there to realizing Mr. Fusion!!!

Don't know when we will have flying cars, but it appears we are approaching closer to nuclear fusion! If we achieve that, I guess fossil fuel will be no match against cheap electicity and EVs will be an inevitability.

I wonder why the Americans are not doing more nukular fution research... too busy financing forever wars and printing money for banks...

There have been a few fusion events lately, record output and highest Q factor (output to input)

And here is a recent USA fusion story - this had a Q of 0.7, much higher than JET
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...-breakthrough/

The higher the Q, the harder it is to read the story, huh? I’ll take your word for it… too cheap to sign up to read the story…

So we’re almost there! May be another break thru that could be witnessed within our lifetime.

Fighting climate change should also become super easy once fusion is possible.

Same place you posted... I just clicked a link from your other post!!

Even if they can make some breakthroughs it takes many years from making it reliable and economic. But yeah, fusion could lead to an energy glut.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Same place you posted... I just clicked a link from your other post!!
    If only they could generate power from lulz, we'd be all set at the moment.

Weird. The article I linked I can read, but I can’t read all those other ones without signing up. Oh well.