Page 30 of 58 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Sims

Administrator
    Ahh, that's good to know, I thought you actually had to park somewhere.

I hadn't tried the Fly by Wire Mod, I think mostly because I'm still hesitant to ever use mods with anything. It's probably better than it used to be in the old days, but I have memories of installing a few mods and basically completely screwing up the game for the rest of eternity. From what I gather by the complaints in the forums, that mod doesn't fix the lack of climbing performance, but it'd be nice if it made it reasonable to activate the approach phase and not have to turn around to do it.

Administrator
    Did find a fix for the Airbus not being able to get to the altitude it should. There's an "engines.cfg" file in "Official\OneStore\asobo-aircraft-a320-neo\SimObjects\AirPlanes\Asobo_A320_NEO" under wherever you told Flight Sim to install itself when first setting it up. Round about line 96 there's "thrust_scalar = 0.82" under "[JET_ENGINE]". It sounds like people thought the 320 was overpowered, so they nerfed it by reducing engine thrust by 18%. I bumped that up to 0.95 and it climbs to FL390 without issue.

I also installed the Fly by Wire mod but haven't got a chance to try landing with it. It did change the onboard computer enough that I am back to not knowing how to do much of anything with it, but it definitely seemed to get more of the buttons working.

Administrator
    Sad to say the mod did not fix the approach "let's turn around and fly for an hour to hit this one waypoint, then turn around again and head back to the arrival airport" bug, but it does seem like an overall improvement to the jet.

Junior Potato
    C-17s converted from FSX. They’re not available for download unless you convert them yourself. They’re basic and buggy, and the cockpit windows are opaque, so not really worth the effort.

However, you can’t argue that this isn’t fucking cool.

Junior Potato
    For VR users, this guy's channel has some great setup tips for a few different headsets to get good visuals out of your 'pooters.

https://www.youtube.com/user/force3d/videos

I'm using it for my Rift S and it's crisp. The framerate isn't high, but at least it's stable. And turning off the Asynchronous Warp feature on my device (basically Oculus' own frame smoothing by interpolation) has helped a lot because it looks less gluggy. The trade-off over default settings is a lot sharper details on the cockpit displays, which is a big benefit.

I have had a flight using his recommendations to the letter, and it was quite enjoyable, although I will change a few settings because I couldn't see the runway I was navigating to until I was almost on top of it. I NEED to up the anisotropic filtering to fix that.

Now there's one thing I have to look into, and that's the scale of objects in VR. Everything looks far too small; my imposing frame fills the cabin of the Cessna a wee bit too much and it feels like I take up 1.5 seats on the flight deck, with my shoulder compressed against the door!

If anyone has any tips on VR scale, please share.

Administrator
    I still haven't even tried VR, I think even with my new video card I'll ultimately end up being annoyed by crap framerates. I think I also might consider upgrading to a Rift S from the CV1 I have now, if only because I can get rid of the sensors.

Junior Potato
    Working aircraft carrier, if anyone's interested. Costs 13 euro, but there are a few workarounds for key functionality due to the incomplete feature set in the SDK.

Basically it calculates the takeoff speed required of every aircraft and does an auto-catapult if you're on the launch zone. Just hit full throttle and release the parking brake. And for landing, it assumes all aircraft have arrest hooks deployed and simulates the physics of an arrest cable landing.

So it will work for all aircraft, including add-on ones and jumbo jets. As the SDK improves the developer will update the mod as more things become possible.

Junior Potato
    I just did a flight to El Capitan from Madeira, about a 45 minute round trip.

It's in California, a small but heavily populated region of the United States. Most of its residents are confined to large cities along the coastline, with some smaller population centres spread along a valley bordered by two sets of mountain ranges. The most populated area is a city called Los Angeles, followed by a city further north called San Francisco. The most common pastimes of California residents are writing screenplays, 'becoming an actor', and smoking weed. The urban areas, especially Los Angeles, are fucked. But get out of town a bit and California's beauty is astonishing.

I opened Spotify and created a song radio based on a tune by LA wordsmiths Jurassic 5, then put on my VR headset. Took off heading north, and turned east to fly up the valley formed by the San Joaquin River.

I had no idea where the Yosemite Valley actually was so I removed the headset, checked Google Maps on the phone, and ahh there we are. Turned left in the vicinity of Mt Lyell and spotted Half Dome a few km away.

I dropped gracefully into the valley Death Star trench run style, wings of my Beechcraft Twin Air creaking from the stress, and admired the impressive silhouette of Half Dome as it towered over me. A few seconds later I flew past El Capitan and mused that people actually climb that thing.

Out of the valley and eventually found my airport. Luckily I remembered a few nearby landmarks and lines on the map - VFR flying is fun.

You flew from my extended back yard basically. Fond memories of hiking from the Yosemite valley floor up to Nevada falls and beyond to Little Yosemite Valley. If you look on Google Maps to find Shaver Lake to the south, and look further south west from there, you'll find Auberry Rd and Tollhouse Rd which form the basis for the mountain roads I cut my teeth on when I was young and dumb.

Junior Potato
    You're fortunate to live in such a beautiful area.

Allow me to post this NINE YEAR OLD video to help illustrate (as if you need convincing).