Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758

Thread: Flight Sims

I'm starting the home stretch of my ground school training. Once I pass my written test sometime next month I'm going to stand my simulator back up and pivot toward developing proficiency with navigating by instruments and talking to ATC. I want to be very comfortable with talking to ATC before I get in an actual plane later this year. The airport I plan to fly out of is towered so it's going to be a big part of what I'll have to master and it's something I can do now to get ready.

There is a company called RealSimGear that makes...sim gear that looks real.

It's a pretty cool piece of gear. It's simply a monitor with buttons around the bezel, so it connects with an HDMI cable and a USB cable. It looks and feels exactly the the Garmin 430 GPS unit that is in the plane I plan to buy into in real life. The screen is cool but the main benefit is those nested knobs, it's really hard to duplicate that with a button box. I'll probably just start with this unit for now, so I can develop the muscle memory of storing and switching radio frequencies. When I'm ready to go for my IFR certification so I can fly on instruments I'll add an MFD, autopilot, and audio panel.

Long-term plans include setting everything up in a room I'm renovating in the basement and moving to a massive curved monitor. But for now, I'm going to build this stack as I go.

Administrator
    That's pretty slick. Only marginally related, but it seems like Honeycomb might be gone already, which is a bit of a bummer.

Did you read the looooong update on their Facebook? Looks like one of the partners flaked on financing the planned growth. She is looking for a new partner.

Administrator
    I hadn't seen that, just a lot of complaints that people have been waiting six months or more for their stuff to ship and that support has been unresponsive. I guess that's somewhat better, but it still is all sounding pretty dodgy at this point.