Page 42 of 58 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Sims

Junior Potato
    I am loving the new update. I just did a flight over Tokyo, which would normally be a 15-20fps basket case. Now it holds 40-ish, which is good enough if I was to run a 30fps frame limit. It's not a constant 40, mind you, there are stutters while scenery loads off the servers, but in the past flying over Tokyo would have my PC throwing out all the nopes.

Holy crap, great improvement.

50 fps over NY at full Ultra (100 scaling) on 1440 Ultrawide

But what I really love is the improved loading times!
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Junior Potato
    I’ve been experimenting with different resolutions and scaling. I display at 1080p and can potentially see 120fps on my TV. Running at 1440 with 70% scale looks really nice. Solid 45fps in many busy areas.

I even tried 4K at 70% scale. It’s a lower frame rate and nice and smooth at 30fps.

But I’ve settled on good old 1080 at 100% scale. It’s hard to tell the difference in image quality unless you’re really pixel peeping, but the cream is that I can get 100fps in the more picturesque rural areas. It hardly ever drops lower than 70. Amazing!

Junior Potato
    Wall of cloud out to sea from where I live.

Comparison time!

Administrator
    Honestly, other than the trees that's not bad.

Considering the intent of the game, that view is similar to walking up to a wall in a 3rd person game and zooming in on it’s texture.

So yeah, not bad at all imo

In other news, I finally found an Xbox Series X in stock, so I should finally get to play this in a few days!

Administrator
    Nice!

I wish they weren't tying software updates to content updates. I don't mind the delay on new scenery for Germany, Switzerland, etc, but I do wish they'd fix the altitude bug with ATC. It's a little annoying to try to guess what altitude you need to be at to get them to stop telling you to expedite your climb to FL340.

They are actually doing a bit of both. They seem to be flip-flopping between world (content) and sim (functionality) updates.

Bug fixes usually get tied to whichever is next when the bug is fixed though.

Then there are some hotfixes for severe bugs after updates. Given the litany of bugs, I'm kinda glad they don't issue them as they fix them. Too many updates then.

That altitude bug should be a hotfix though. Especially with that next World Update being delayed.

Has anyone figured out what the bug is? Do I need to set my altimeter to the local setting, even when over FL180?

Honestly, I've been traveling a lot ever since the last update and when I am home, I've been playing mainly X-Plane, so I've not really bothered figuring it out.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Administrator
    It's apparently a long-standing bug in the code going back to FSX, but the latest update to live weather triggered it. It apparently only happens when using live weather, if you use a weather preset, everything works as expected. But, who wants to do that?

Junior Potato
    Newly announced. By the end of this year, flight sim is getting:

Junkers JU-52 - $15 DLC
    A weird futuristic electric people carrying drone thing
    And… Reno Air Races competitive multiplayer!

Price unknown for the last two. Details here.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er-this-autumn