Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445

Thread: Flight Sims

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    For my first international trip, I wanted to go to Vanuatu, since I was lucky enough to go there years ago and was enamored by it… needless to say, the little island nation is not modeled at all in the game, poor guys.
    It's in there. I'm not sure what you saw but I just checked and it's definitely there.

Oh its there, but if you fly low you’ll see that it’s all very generic renderings with buildings that are like half buried and roads that make no sense

Unless its just an Xbox thing

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    You might also see if you can do slew mode on the XBox, lets you just sorta teleport yourself around.

Surprisingly excited that you basically got the same initial thrill out of it that I did - see places you know but from the air. I spent days just cruising around my folks neighborhood, my neighborhood, places I've been, etc.

Still haven't found that weird tower in Tel Aviv that I worked near, but I think they may purposely hide it.
    Yeah so far Iíve done places Iím familiar with, because its the only way my brain can not get overloaded by having *the whole entire world* to visit

Next up I think will be Scotland/Iceland, then go from there

Iíll search on what ďslewĒ is, thanks for the tip

Junior Potato
    Scotland and Iceland are great. If your brain gets bent out of shape about the scope of this game, well simply flying out of Broadford Aerodrome in northern Scotland will bend your mind when you see how stunning that part of the world is.

I recommend finding that airstrip, and then Googling the location of the Bond family mansion from Skyfall, flying that way, then plotting a course towards Edinburgh and taking in a lot of the country all at once. Itís about an hour trip in the King Air 350, longer in a Cessna.

Now the Vanuatu situation is very odd. The game pulls data from Bing Maps if you have world data streaming turned on. If you have it turned off the game has generic rudimentary terrain generated from mapping data which is included with the base game.

The terrain I see in Vanuatu is this generic base terrain, even with world data streaming turned on. There are two international airports there in real life but they are both empty grass fields in MSFS.

But go to Bing Maps and they are both imaged there in high fidelity, which is more than enough for the gameís AI to pull out and turn into proper airports.

Even tiny little Pacific atolls have their runways represented, and these places only have names because the US Army needed them as bases to stop the Japanese taking over half the planet in the 1940s.

Junior Potato
    The Top Gun 2 movie has been delayed until mid-2022, so the Top Gun DLC marketing tie-in has been delayed too.

The producers of Top Gun 2 are citing fears that a surge in COVID cases will lead to lacklustre box office take for the opening weekend, which has lead them to delay all of their 2021/2 releases.