Page 40 of 59 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Sims

Junior Potato
    Right so I've upgraded my mobile phone plan (well, side-graded to an EOFY offer that's got 5x the data and is cheaper then my current plan) and I have 8 days to use up 500GB.

Flight Sim it is

Junior Potato
    Nordics update available now. It interrupted by continuing DL of the game (what's it been, four days now?) but that only added 15GB to my total. 42GB to go!

But then I have to get the environment update as a separate thing, all while my pooter is running the game and using up a lot of power... Argh!

Junior Potato
    Big news: ok, so, the DX12 update is vapourware for the moment, but there is a sim update coming late July simultaneous with the Xbox release, and Asobo have demonstrated a huge improvement in frame rates through better CPU utilisation while keeping the PC version on DX11 for now.

They showed off a flight over the NY city scape with an i7 9700K and RTX2060 Super. Sim update 4 ran at 30-40fps, while the preview build for sim update 5 ran at 50-60. Both we’re on ultra settings, 4K scaled at 40%. I’ve got a slightly more powerful GPU and less powerful CPU, so with my reduced graphics settings I could be getting 80-90-odd fps. Nice!

The Xbox version will be on DX12 and include ray tracing, and the PC updates for the same will be coming later. They’ve announced that in the future updates will come simultaneously for both platforms as the game will be a unified build.

They announced sign up for a preview program with NDA. Kinda like they had for Alpha, beta, and VR updates.

It was pretty vague, but mentioned performance. Maybe DX12?
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Junior Potato
    AFAIK that’s for sim update 5. Performance will be related to CPU usage.

Administrator
    Oooh, maybe it'll end up performant enough to run decent VR!

Junior Potato
    Couple of really good mods I highly recommend:

Firstly, if you're after some brainless fun, this F-22 Raptor is dead-easy to fly with all sorts of properly simulated flight assists to keep it stable.

https://flightsim.to/file/16413/lock...eeware-edition

Secondly, I have been flying this magnificent vehicle this evening. It's absolutely perfect for sightseeing.

https://flightsim.to/file/8970/airbu...copter-project

If you're flying with assists on (i.e. not cold and dark) first you wanna flick this red switch in the centre console to activate flight mode for both engines. Use your mouse scroll wheel.

Secondly, the helicopter has three levels of assists available, selectable via the tablet in front of the pilot.

Level 1 is basic-as, designed for controller users. My favourite is level 2 on my Xbox pad, but level 3 will be good for anyone who has a HOTAS and pedals. Collective is mapped to the throttle axis, your translate is the joystick, and pedals for torque control. You could use level 3 on a pad but it is very challenging keeping it from rotating with your triggers while also doing everything else. Hovering in place is a special challenge, as is judging landing from speed.

It has a 550ft/m climb rate from takeoff, but there is also a high performance mode which doubles that, which I only found out about after shutting the game down. Helps to read the included PDF....

Junior Potato
    Footage of MSFS running on Xbox Series X. Solid and stable 30fps all day long, and a HUGELY improved globe map in the UI, thank god! The same channel has posted some performance comparisons and a look at demanding glass cockpit screens in the A320 over Manhattan, showing no dips in frame rate. Worth a look.

This bodes very, very well for sim update 5 in a few days

Administrator
    I'm thinking sim update 5 is the update that's out right now. Saw someone on I think Verge saying he went from a steady 45fps to a steady 65.