Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Sims

Junior Potato
    Stop buying mod planes all the time and you might get one sooner

#smashedavo

Ugh, just did a pretty long IFR flight from FL to NC, and it crashed when I tried to activate the approach.

Administrator
    I watched some videos on setting the fuel mixture, which is something I've never understood. Spent the past few flights trying to play with it as altitude changed and nothing really happened.

Then I realized I had auto mixture turned on in assistance. That sure changed things.

I also did my first flight from a cold and dark start. I had a feeling that'd be massive nerdy fun and I was right, though when the checklist started pointing my gaze at things like the altimeter *as I'm lifting off and now can't see out of the plane or the artificial horizon*, that was less than helpful.

Administrator
    I was piddling around in the Icon A5 again and I just for the life of me cannot seem to figure out the GPS/computer unit in that plane. Anybody happen to know what model it is? It looks kinda like a Garmin Aera 795, but doesn't quite match what I'm seeing and I'd love to be able to find a manual for it.

Administrator
    Well, whatever it is, the soft buttons on the side of the unit don't work, so I guess at least at the current moment it's not the most useful piece of gear.

Junior Potato
    I just go with the VFR map and Google maps open on my phone

Administrator
    Having a hell of a time trying to learn ILS landings. I finally thought I had something going by doing a low-level IFR flight from Yuma to Montgomery Field in San Diego (a personal favorite as I grew up under its flight path). I thought everything was reasonably dialed in until I got to the last waypoint before the airport and ATC never asked me to drop below 5100. I eventually started to descend to land at the airport and got yelled at by ATC, at which point I just had to cancel the IFR flight and bring it in by hand.

I swear, Flight Sim used to have these great manuals that explained so many things. I hope they have plans to massively expand the flight lessons part of the sim.

Part of the problem is that the systems in MSFS 2020 are pretty broken.

One of the big problems is that when you try to activate an approach, it always tries to go start it from the previous waypoint before the transition waypoint, sending you in circles. There's a sort of fix by adding the transition waypoint manually before the approach I think.

If you want to practice ILS landings though, find the ILS Frequency (Skyvector.com or airnav.com can help), enter it into NAV1, and practice without an IFR plan, or even ATC if you want.

To be honest, at this point with the sim, I prefer just GA VFR flying. I do some IFR planned stuff, but still only in GA aircraft. I'll go over to x-Plane if I want to play airline pylote though. I hope they get it fixed, because the visuals, and some of the flight characteristics are so good.

Junior Potato
    I might’ve shared this video already who cares?

But it’s about ILS and it might give you all the answers.