Page 28 of 59 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Sims

Junior Potato
    VR update for FS2020 comes out today... supposedly.

Me patiently waiting.

My eyeballs area ready.

My PC is probably not.

Also, snow!

Junior Potato
    The update might not come in for another 10 hours, dang it.

Yes I searched for info on that

Meanwhile, there's a paid 3rd-party mod coming out in January which lets you record replays of your flights. It costs 18 euros which is a bit steep, but thew quality of FS2020 videos will improve dramatically I'd imagine.

I bought a T16000.M HOTAS setup, but haven't gotten it out of the box.

Administrator
    VR update is out, downloading now. No idea how well it does/doesn't run.

Also includes two new training missions for takeoff and landing in the A320neo, snow and ice coverage added to live weather, and you now get seatbelt and no smoking chimes in airliners!
    Last edited by Tom Servo; December 22nd, 2020 at 09:53 AM.

Junior Potato
    I woke up at 2am, and I checked the official forums: the update was available then. I resisted the urge to just get out of bed and slept for another three hours.

So it's 5:30, I'm awake now, downloading now.

Once I put on my headset it'll be so long, nice knowing you guys!

Junior Potato
    Oh man, so, so good. Runs alright, I've got a couple of videos uploading now. But the experience is sick!

It looks kinda jank but I haven't fiddled with the graphic settings yet. There's a separate settings config for VR mode, which is a great convenience

I might turn terrain and texture detail down and the fancy effects like reflections and clouds up. Right now it is kind of hard to distinguish distant objects (like runways, which are fairly important, I think) so that will require some thought as to what to do there in order to keep the framerate high. Another problem is making out bright white concrete runways, which would be an issue in real life but it's not like I can wear aviators inside the headset and have it make any difference.

Junior Potato
    Here we go: look at how awesome my home town is!

And a flight over Auckland in the bright sunshine. I just want to look out the window but that doesn't help with the flying!

Just for reference I'm using:

Oculus Rift S
    i5 9400K
    RTX 2070 FE

These videos are at standard settings.

Edit: also I'm looking into how to record in single-screen mode.

Since then I've done as I described above; dropped terrain/object/texture detail and increased reflections/clouds/aliasing/anisotropic filtering but also dropped resolution scale to 50% just to maintain framerate because I'm happy to sacrifice detail and sharpness to increase framerate.

Well really I'm not. I'll return the settings back the other way but keep anisotropy and aliasing a bit higher and increase scaling to keep it nice and sharp. I think it'll be better to drop the fancy effects like reflections and keep the environment looking better because this will be all about what's happening outside the window.
    Last edited by Rare White Ape; December 22nd, 2020 at 03:37 PM.

I can't get VR to work. When I try, the HMD just goes solid yellow, and on the screen I see a gray grids with a black rectangles on them.

edit: turns out it's caused by HDR. Going to turn off and try again.

Junior Potato
    I had that too, but I got straight onto the official forums. There's a dedicated VR help section.