Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Sims

Are you using the stable or dev release?
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Administrator
    Stable. I'll try dev. If that works, that's gonna make me double up on the "let us hold off on getting updates."

From what I gather, Asobo and Microsoft publicly said they were going to rely on third parties to flesh out the airliners. If that's true, then you need to coordinate with those third parties and give them time to get their updates into stable before your own updates if you're going to force your own updates out. I'm a big proponent of "fail fast and hard" when it comes to engineering, but you do that internally, not in front of your customers.

One of the things that made me crazy about every other flight sim was the learning curve and sheer number of hoops that you needed to go through to make it work "right". FS2020 started out as the first sim in a long time that just worked, even if you weren't the type to get into the command prompt and start tweaking config files by hand. They're really quickly losing that, and clumsily so.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; March 10th, 2021 at 09:36 PM.

Yeah, they have been a total mess when it comes to updates. I'm not hugely upset about them releasing an unfinished product*, or even that their updates break 3rd party stuff**. I'm upset when the updates break the sim itself and have clearly obvious flaws that I can't understand how they miss. It seems like the keep taking backward steps.

*I mean I was on the alpha. I still kinda treat it like we're playing a Beta. They totally rushed the game IMO, but given the constant development, I'm kinda meh about it. If they released and wiped their hands of it, that's be another thing.
    **Given the above, I'm treating add-ons as a gamble until the sim itself is "finished"
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Administrator
    I'd put myself in the same boat. I am happy they released an unfinished product rather than it never being released, and am similarly surprised at how many things they seem to break with each release. I also appear to not be the only one who has run into massive performance issues with the new update. I did a flight in the A320 from San Francisco to LA and by the time I started heading into northern LA county, my framerate suddenly dropped to about 4fps. I could usually fix it by escaping out to the menu and returning, but it'd happen every few minutes. Lots of fun when it does that just before landing.

It'd be nice if we could treat add-ons as a gamble, but when they basically say "we're not going to fix these planes and rely on the community", you're kinda stuck if you want to use those planes, some of which they charged extra money for.

Junior Potato
    You have to admit, though, that the A320 is becoming infamous for its faults, and fixing them only to have something else break in a major fashion is pretty damn funny.

Administrator
    It is. I think I wouldn't mind as much if the 747 and 787 weren't just as broken and nobody's really trying to fix those.

On the plus side, they added chemtrails and this is going to be so much fun to torture flat earthers with.

Administrator
    Woot, the Bravo shipped, should be here sometime next week!

Same here. I was like 75% sure I was going to get an email saying that it wasn't really coming.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Administrator
    Yep, that's what I expected too. Nevertheless, UPS has it and says it'll be here Tuesday EOD.

Administrator
    The Bravo arrived, having a hell of a time configuring it though. For some reason, the various throttle/propeller/mixture levers only seem to work on the upper half of their travel. If I bring the throttle all the way back, then slowly increase it, nothing happens in the sim until about halfway up, then it starts reacting and can go to full. Same going the other way, I make it about halfway down and in the sim, I'm at idle. The controller options in Windows and the sensitivity panel in the sim both show the levers working as designed with the full travel available. Haven't been able to find anything online about this, but I must have something misconfigured, I guess.

Hopefully I'll get it working sometime today.

EDIT: For some reason, if you unset all of the axes and then re-add them one at a time, that seems to fix it. *shrug*
    Last edited by Tom Servo; March 15th, 2021 at 02:27 PM.