Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Sims

Administrator
    Okay, that was a lot of configuring time, but I was able to do a flight, C172 out of KSMO, toodle around for a bit, then land back at KSMO.

Setting up the autopilot almost solely to make it so I didn't have to keep guiding the plane to the left was really easy. Five way switch/knob at the upper left picks whether you're setting Altitude, Heading, VS, Course, or IAS. I will probably change that last one to do FLC instead. Pick the one you want, use the knob in the upper right to adjust away, then there are dedicated hardware buttons for all the usual autopilot suspects and an Auto Pilot button. And they light up when they're activated! The adjustment knob would only go in larger increments, I could only switch 1,000 feet at a time. I think that's a bug in FS2020 that I believe there's a workaround for, I have to go find that.

Didn't get a chance to try out the landing gear since the C172 has fixed gear.

Changing the configuration of the various levers is really easy, they just pop on and off. It comes with two boxes with fancypants magnetic sides, one with levers for propeller planes and the other with a set for jets. They feel like pretty lightweight cheap plastic but they mount really solidly to the unit, so once they're attached you don't really notice that at all. One of the two throttle levers for GA planes has a TO/GA button on the side of it that'll immediately engage full throttle, which explains why the mount points all have contacts on them. I'm curious to see if they do some more things with the levers in the future. Changing the configuration in FS2020 is a whole other story. You have to make a profile for each type of plane you want to fly and remember to change that profile every time you change planes. Not the end of the world, but it would be cool if FS could change that for you. That's really an FS thing though, not the hardware.

The annunciator lights are cool too - when I was still fiddling with things and often got dropped on the runway with my fuel mixture at full lean, a bunch of them would light up yelling at me about oil pressure and such. Only weird thing I saw was "ANTI-ICE" lit up for the C172, which seemed odd since it wasn't icy and also I don't think the C172 has any sort of de-icing functionality.

It also has 7 switches just under the autopilot buttons that are surprisingly hard to see in pictures. By default they're set to exterior lights, pitot heat, and the main avionics bus, but if you've got the Honeycomb yoke, it already has dedicated switches for all those except the pitot heat. You'll need to unset them if you have the yoke or else they'll fight over who's right and you'll never get the plane started.

I'm not used to having the trim wheel. I imagine over time I'll get a feeling for how much trim to dial in to get the result I want, for now I either didn't do nearly enough or I nearly pitched the plane into the ground. I really like having it there, though, and kinda wish there was a rudder trim one too. The yoke has those rudder trim switches though.

Anyway, I really like it so far. It feels really well put together, but I've only tried it on a plane with a single engine and no propeller pitch adjustment. I do need to figure out where I'm going to program the brakes to be though - I landed and suddenly realized I couldn't stop. I did manage to get my Clubsport pedals working as rudders and drifted the plane between two buildings trying to stop it but eventually crashed into another building.

Junior Potato
    Try clutch/throttle as rudders, then brake as brake?

I saw GamerMuscle on YouTube using this config and his landings looked like some big brain next level heel-and-toe craziness.

Administrator
    I thought of that right up until I realized that I'd need a third foot if I want to be able to steer while landing and also stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I did manage to get my Clubsport pedals working as rudders and drifted the plane between two buildings trying to stop it but eventually crashed into another building.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Administrator
    I feel seen.

Junior Potato
    Someone is livestreaming a helicopter flight. Looks good! Links in description etc.

Administrator
    The FPS bug is hitting me pretty hard. Can't fly for more than 30 min. without the sim dropping to 4-5FPS, which isn't great timing now that the Bravo showed up.

At least it's giving me more time to play Cyberpunk.

Junior Potato
    Ahhh moving from one broken game to another I see.

Administrator
    True, but at least it's playable. I try not to be the "literally unplayable!" guy, but in its current state the only thing I can do is one less-than-30-minute flight. If I do a longer one or more than one in a single session, I'll get hit with the framerate drop and the only way to get rid of it is to kill the game and restart.

The bugs in Cyberpunk are more hilarious than irritating for me, at least.

I had some bad FPS issues yesterday. I was at "30" or so, but with bad stuttering. I closed a chrome window and I think Word and it didn't improve right away, but soon went to 60 fps again.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)