Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Sims

Junior Potato
    Bit of rain out here in SEQ. Today's activity: happy aircraft flies in fucked up weather ^_^

I'm flying towards this grassy runway. Visibility is way less than the 1400 ft altitude you see here. My angle of attack is some 45 degrees to the left into the headwind.

I'm not sure you you could calculate crosswind on the fly, but as you can see on the dash, it says max crosswind is 11 kts.

If you're flying an aircraft with a G1000, and you have the NXi mod (free from the market place, highly recommended). You can go to PFD options, Wind and set one of them to show you the head/tail wind and cross wind componenets. I think it's option 2.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Junior Potato
    Iíve just seen a post on an MSFS Facebook group alerting people that if you want to fly jets in military formation with other players, hop on the Europe West server and go to Kyiv, as there are apparently heaps of people flying F-18s in the area

I was just about to order MSFS (and a Xbox Series S) for an aspiring pilot then I realized there might be issues:
    How playable is it offline/with limited connectivity? The dude only has his phone's mobile hot-spot (I can download the game/updates on my Ethernet connection before I gift it over).

There's an offline mode that you can turn on after first playing with an internet connection: https://fenixbazaar.com/2021/07/27/f...-xbox-offline/
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    The visuals are still utterly beautiful in offline mode but donít expect the imagery of the terrain to look any good.

Administrator
    Yeah, I'd expect the terrain/buildings to be autogen for the most part, right? The main thing the sim streams is the all of that from bing, I think. It'd still look great, but you probably wouldn't be able to spot your actual house.

Sweet, thank you.
    That's more than enough for his needs (I think).

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yeah, I'd expect the terrain/buildings to be autogen for the most part, right? The main thing the sim streams is the all of that from bing, I think.
    Yeah, the offline mode is essentially what came on the physical 11-disc release that you could get for PC. It captures the most basic mapping data: it knows where real streets lie and what the (low detail) elevation and coastline are. But areas get really basic biomes assigned to them so thereís no satellite imagery at all. The English countryside is biomed as farmland and paddocks, so it gets a massive basic texture to represent paddocks. City biomes are massive basic textures that represent urban cityscapes, etc with 3D trees and buildings populated on top of that.

When I learned to fly, we used the E6B Flight Computer to calculate lots of things. You certainly can use it to calculate the crosswind on the fly without the need for a glass panel. Just listen to the weather conditions at the field on the radio.

It's on page 27 of the manual, if you're interested.
    Last edited by KillerB; April 5th, 2022 at 08:21 PM.