Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Project CARS

Administrator
    This may be a stupid question, but here goes. My wife wanted to check out what it's like at Monza in the Formula A using the Oculus Rift, but she's not much for the actual driving. So, I threw together a 5 lap race and actually had a really fun race with lots of dicing around with the AI cars. Then I went to show her the replay of it.

None of the AI cars moved. I launched off the line and they all stayed there for all five laps. My car just drove straight through all of them.

Am I missing some setting that includes the other cars in replays?

The replays do suffer from random bugs, looks like you may have got unlucky. Don't think I've had that happen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    My wife wanted to check out what it's like at Monza in the Formula A using the Oculus Rift...
    Not that you needed reminding but...she's awesome.

Administrator
    She is, and we got the replay to work this time. She sat in the driver's seat for three laps and it was pretty goddamn cool. I'm now trying to get her to watch a BMW Z4 GT3 race at Laguna.

Ran a couple of GT3 races online today. The first one was at Laguna Seca. 1 hour practice (I joined with 35 mins left), and a 15 min qualifying. All that for a 5 min race. Qualified 8th, finished 6th, after being hit from behind by an early starter while sitting on the grid.

The 2nd race was a 2hr at Spa. Joined with 8 mins left in the only practice session. Had the beginnings of a tune for Spa on the Caddy ATS-V.r, but it was loose. Changed it around some before I ran out of time, but it certainly wasn't ideal. Started 9th of 12 (no qualifying), and by the time I exited Eau Rouge, I was 5th. After 45 mins, everybody but me and two other cars either quit or lagged out. I won by at least 12 laps, despite several unscheduled pit stops. It had started raining in some portions of the track, but still quite dry in most sections. To dry for intermediates, for sure.

Administrator
    I gotta try some online races, once I feel confident enough that I'm not going to plow into the back of everyone.

Administrator
    I did a few online races. I learned a few things.

1) There is no pause between the end of qualifying and the race (and you don't get to finish your flying lap, either). That means when you go to the restroom, you come back and everyone else is 30+ seconds ahead of you.

2) The Rift did actually make it easier (for me) to avoid crashes. It was easier for me to tell both tell how close I was to hitting a car and also to see cars beside me in corners.

3) The Rift made it really easy to look at scenery and then realize I was driving off the track while doing so.

I did okay out there today. I still ended up in one of those things where maybe 30% of the races I joined ended up actually being races. Most either fizzled out or once I got booted for no particular reason. The races I did run usually ended with me near the back of the pack, but that's only because 75% of the pack quit during the race and while being last, I nearly podiumed.

Still, was fun, and am looking forward to doing more of that.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; May 8th, 2017 at 08:16 PM.

Administrator
    Also, the "engine restart" button nearly feels like a hazing element. I qualified third in a Formula Renault race at Laguna but managed to get a little too aggressive coming out of the corkscrew and stalled the engine.

No button was mapped to "engine restart", and since for some ungodly reason both pcars and assetto corsa make you go all the way back out to the main menu to do button mapping, it meant the race was over for me.

Also, I feel like the second part of the corkscrew is one of those things that's flawed in every single sim. When I went there for Skip Barber, the instructors all told us that the corkscrew is famous, but anyone who told you it was famous for being difficult was full of shit. It's a standard left/right chicane, only you have a massive trough on exit so you basically have insane levels of grip as you exit it. I never even got marginally close to spinning coming out of the real corkscrew, but goddamn if I don't spin regularly coming out of any virtual one.

Most cars have a horrible set-up for MRLS on them, and require extensive tuning for the corkscrew. My ATS-V.r gets through there really well.

Junior Potato
    Project CARS 2 has a release date: September 22.

I'm surprised that this series hasn't gotten much interest from the people here. It's a pretty good game! The sequel is bound to fix all the issues from the first game.

It'll also feature one of the best rosters of old racing cars that I've ever seen.

There's a trailer: https://youtu.be/EcJR5d-DJzs