Page 1 of 96 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

My fiancée Janelle and I had been thinking about adding her to my T-Mobile plan for a while, but she was still under contract with AT&T on her family's plan and wanted to keep her existing black HTC One and port her phone number. Turns out that the only way that AT&T would unlock her phone was to terminate her line at the same time, losing the ability to port her number.

To get around this, we ordered an unlocked Nexus 5 from Google for her to use for a few days until her HTC One was unlocked, then to replace my Samsung Galaxy S3, which has a cracked screen (my 3rd party insurance requires me to send the phone in for service WTF). We'll probably unlock the S3 and sell it on eBay. We ordered the 32GB Nexus 5 in "bright red," which looks intensely safety orange under a lot of lighting conditions.

IMAG0460.jpg

So far, I'm quite satisfied with the Nexus. It's much faster than my S3 in every way. The S3 has started to lag more with newer versions of Android, and it doesn't support T-Mobile's LTE network. With the Nexus 5, I'm regularly seeing 25-29 Mbps download speeds, faster than the AT&T LTE in this area, which is might be due to added spectrum that AT&T had to sell to T-Mobile on account of the failed merger. Boot time is of course faster than on my Samsung and carrier bloatware riddled S3. The only hiccups are that T-Mobile's visual voicemail doesn't support unlocked Nexus 5s at this time, and T-Mobile's Wifi calling doesn't work on unlocked Nexus 5s. The 16GB Nexus 5 through T-Mobile and the 32GB unlocked Nexus 5 through Google are both ~$400, so I'm okay with losing out on Wifi calling in exchange for 16 extra GB at the same price.

Since the camera was controversial on the last forum, here's a couple of pictures under challenging lighting conditions at my local bar, The Beetle Bar and Grill

HDR+ mode off
    HDR-.jpg

HDR+ on
    HDR+.jpg

Low light camera performance isn't as good as Janelle's HTC One, but it's definitely better than my Galaxy S3's camera was.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Wait, fiancée? I missed something, I think.

Congrats!

(back on topic) I still love my Note 2. I have no plans to upgrade anytime soon.

Same here, congrats (I think?)

Get wasted, bro.

Galaxy Mega for when the Note is too small?

Engagement's been Facebook official since November. Drew, I'm pretty sure we told you in person the last time we saw you, but I'm guessing that you've got a few memory holes from that night.

On topic, even though the T-Mobile visual voicemail app isn't officially Nexus 5 Android 4.4.2 compatible, I found the APK today and it works just fine.

Wifi calling is surely a waste of time if you're making domestic calls anyway. I can see it might be useful for making/receiving international calls.

WiFi calling is great if you have limited coverage at your house, or not a lot of minutes (T-Mobile's coverage isn't great, and their really popular cheap plan is only 100 minutes for those of that care more about the 5 GB of data that comes with it).
    Get that weak shit off my track

T-Mobile seems at least as good as any other carrier in Chicago, in my experience. Way out in the exurbs or rural Illinois? Sure, Verizon's better, but I live and work in the city.

Yeah, it's very much location (and roadtrip) centric.
    Get that weak shit off my track