Page 66 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

Google Now was the best sports spoiler machine.

I've had my OnePlus 5 for about a week now, figure it's time for a review.

New phone: OnePlus 5/8gb ram/128gb storage

Previous phone: iPhone 5S/1gb ram/16gb storage

• Holy shit this phone is huge. One handed use is mostly ok. But I definitely can't comfortably use the phone one handed 100% of the time like I used to with the iPhone
    • Fast fast fast. Everything is near instant on this thing, even when apps do get booted from memory, they open up again really quickly.
    • Smooth as hell. Yes, I see the 'jelly scroll' a little from time to time, but it doesn't bother me, since it kinda looks like it's part of the animation. Everything else is smooth as butter.
    • Battery life is insane, 10-12 of screen on time so far, according to AccuBattery
    • Bluetooth has some struggles from time to time, compared to the iPhone, but overall pretty good
    • Camera quality seems pretty good, portrait mode isn't perfect, but certainly usable. Having the second camera/lens is nice to get a sharper image when 'zooming in'. HDR is well balanced. Night shooting is a bit too noisy though. This is clearly a software problem, though, as Google's Camera app produces better photos in low light. Pro Mode gives you all the controls you'll ever need, but for me, I'll stick to auto, since if I'm shooting anything seriously, I'll be using an actual camera.
    • Dash Charge is insanely quick, to the point it kinda makes me nervous, so I rarely use it. I can plug it in, take a shower, and 15 minutes later I have 30-50% more battery depending on where I started from.
    • Build quality seems top notice, screen is bright and clear. No complaints at all there. I won't have any fear of using it briefly in the rain.
    • Android is a lot better now than my experiences on my previous Android devices. Happy to have moved on from iOS finally (though I was always jailbroken on iOS)
    • My only concern is how it's going to hold up for the long run. I owned the iPhone 5S for about 4 years, I'd like to own this for a long time as well. I think it's stupid how perfectly good devices become 'obsolete' so quickly because companies want to push more bloated software. For that reason I went 8gb/128gb storage, to help with that, hopefully. So as long as the hardware holds up, and the OS doesn't become quickly unsupported, I plan to keep it for 4ish years as well.
    • Got a case and earbuds from OnePlus as well... the case is ok, its basically just a hard clip on that doesn't really cover much, so I'm not using it. It does make the phone grippier though. Naked, the phone is kinda slippery. I decided to get another no name case, that ended up being perfect. TPU, thin, and wraps around the edges, for a little screen protection, but not much. Still keeps the phone relatively 'thin'. The earbuds aren't anything to write home about, I prefer the Apple earpods, but they also aren't bad for the price, either. I need to find some high quality BT earbuds some day for jogging and the what not, but it's not a priority.

A++ would buy again.

I previously reported that Panorama mode works on the OP5 camera now. I retract that statement. A couple attempts today were abysmal.

Jason, Dash Charge is a bit different tech than Quick Charge et al. It's pretty cool how it works (no pun intended). I wouldn't worry about it too much with OEM charging hardware.

They (Samsung, or Android, not sure) seem to have fixed the smart switch. My phone now turns WiFi back off when I leave my home network.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    Jason, Dash Charge is a bit different tech than Quick Charge et al. It's pretty cool how it works (no pun intended). I wouldn't worry about it too much with OEM charging hardware.
    He's used to slow Apple charging. Your world of quick charging frightens and confuses him. Sometimes your large phone screens make him want to get out of his apartment... and run off into the hills, or wherever.

I like standards when it comes to things like charging actually. I would prefer PD, vs a proprietary super aggressive charge. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Want to add a couple things to my review:

• Fingerprint is in the right spot, on the front of the phone. I don't care what anyone else says, having the sensor on the back is just dumb. Also the sensor speed is absolutely amazing. Pretty much instant.
    • Speaking of the sensor, its placed on the home button, and OnePlus put two invisible capacative buttons for 'Back' and 'app switcher' on either side of the home button, which allows one to ditch the on screen buttons, and reclaim some of the screen space 'lost' to 'giant' bezels. If you compare the phone to some of the taller screens out there, you actually don't lose much usable space because of this.
    • Also the headphone jack is on the correct side. And due to this, there's no open ports at the top of the phone, making it even better for use outside in the rain, even without proper weather proofing

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Google Now has been replaced by Google Feed. Which means that, instead of easy access to personalized information that only Google has about my location, schedule, travel time to regular places, etc, it's just a list of news articles. Because Google News being its own app just wasn't visible enough for them.

Way to fucking go, dumbasses.
    Just realized this today. SAD!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Want to add a couple things to my review:

• Fingerprint is in the right spot, on the front of the phone. I don't care what anyone else says, having the sensor on the back is just dumb. Also the sensor speed is absolutely amazing. Pretty much instant.
    • Speaking of the sensor, its placed on the home button, and OnePlus put two invisible capacative buttons for 'Back' and 'app switcher' on either side of the home button, which allows one to ditch the on screen buttons, and reclaim some of the screen space 'lost' to 'giant' bezels. If you compare the phone to some of the taller screens out there, you actually don't lose much usable space because of this.
    • Also the headphone jack is on the correct side. And due to this, there's no open ports at the top of the phone, making it even better for use outside in the rain, even without proper weather proofing
    When it comes to the sensor location, I kinda wish I could have both. My specific use case is the shared shopping list Michele and I use, and being able to unlock my phone essentially just by picking it up while pushing a shopping cart around is goddamn life changing. As you note, a phone that big is a pain to hold with one hand sometimes, and having the fingerprint sensor on the front at the bottom would be really awkward. I do really wish it was there when I've got it lying on a table though and just want to check and see what's happening.

You are, however, 100% correct about the headphone jack being on the correct side. Back when we had to plug our phones into the auxiliary jack in the car, I always hated phones with a charging port on one side and a headphone jack on the other, there was no good way to stow them in the cupholder on a long drive. Admittedly, Bluetooth has made this significantly less of an issue, but it still bugs me when I have to use it. That said, I'm near the point now where I probably will no longer need a headphone jack.

I unlock the phone with one hand all the time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think one can train themselves either way in terms of pulling it out of a pocket/bag and unlocking it in the process with the sensor.

But stuff like laying on the table, or in a phone holder, there's just no advantage to it being on the back.

Really the only advantage of a rear sensor is to decrease the front bezels, but I actually like the OP5's bottom bezel layout. Would totally welcome shrinking the top bezel though.