Page 27 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

Administrator
    The more I'm using this phone, the more I'm liking it.

I didn't realize it had a separate Motorola camera app vs. the stock Google one (which is also on the phone). It's got a low light mode, a "brightness adjustment mode", rapid fire shots (hold down your finger on the screen and it just keeps shooting, maybe 8-9 a second?), and just seems to run that much faster than the Google one. That alone might be the thing that sells my wife on this phone.

I'm also loving being able to just wave my hand by the screen to wake it up just enough to tell me what time it is and if there's anything I need to pay attention to. Then it's just a swipe on the screen to wake it up more than that. Never realized how much I'd like it over actually hitting the power button over and over again.

Voice activation is pretty snazzy too, though it seems to get a lot of false positives. I just gave it a slightly longer wake up phrase which I hope will help in that regard - "Ahoy, phone!" seemed to be prone to just waking up for no good reason.

The only downside I see to this phone over the Nexus 5x is that you don't get the Android updates quite as fast. It looks like it's about a two month wait, Motorola are saying they expect to ship it either late November or early December. Given how well they've integrated their apps with the phone while not doing much at all to override the standard Android install makes it seem worth it to me though. I've never been a fan of bloatware, and I still don't really love that you can't uninstall the apps (though they take up very little room), they really do seem to add to things while mostly just staying out of the way. I like that within a couple of days the phone has figured out my normal sleep schedule and quiets any notifications during those hours. That's pretty cool.

$500 + tax out the door for the 64 gig model and definitely not regretting the purchase. I still get $20 off a month if I bring my own handset (does T-Mobile still do those plans? I hope so...), so comparing it to a free phone on a two year contract, it's $500 vs. $480 ($20 x 24). Easily good value for money.

T-Mobile doesn't do any subsidized plans anymore, AFAIK. You can get the phone through them and make payments on it that get rolled into your bill in rather transparent fashion, however.

Things I've noticed post 6.0 update on my N5:
    -date/time display on the lock screen is more legible
    -song titles no longer display properly on my CX-5. The first song to stream via bluetooth gives the title, but if I skip songs using the phone or steering wheel controls, the car's display still shows the old song. If I skip songs using the CX-5's touchscreen, then the displayed title changes.
    -app drawing (IE, FB Messenger chat heads) was turned off by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Easily good value for money.
    Too easy.

I have narrowed down my new phone to either the 6P or the Lumia 950XL. I'm attracted by the 128GB of the 6P and the ability to continue using Chrome etc. but I think I could probably live with Windows Phone's apps (or lack thereof) and am keen on Windows Hello, as well as on the Lumia's awesome camera. I also prefer the Windows Mobile interface, and the fact that it has Apt-X, as opposed to the Nexus phones.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; November 16th, 2015 at 06:00 AM.

I'm still baffled how some new phones don't have removable memory. That seems so backwards to me.

Really? I'm surprised when phones *have* removable memory. The packaging and software is much easier when you don't have it (though Marshmallow is improving the software side), and they make a lot more money charging an extra $50-$100 for more memory than giving you fewer SKUs and having you buy a card from someone else.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yeah, unfortunately the cost of adding removable memory doesn't make sense to manufacturers. Apple did a fine job paving the way for even less consumer-friendliness in hardware.

Still, I've not once been upset about the lack of a removable battery or memory on my phone over the last three years. [here I go again]Cloud services and ubiquitous wifi have definitely taken the edge of cell phone storage considerations.[/here I go again]

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    I have narrowed down my new phone to either the 6P or the Lumia 950XL. I'm attracted by the 128GB of the 6P and the ability to continue using Chrome etc. but I think I could probably live with Windows Phone's apps (or lack thereof) and am keen on Windows Hello, as well as on the Lumia's awesome camera. I also prefer the Windows Mobile interface, and the fact that it has Apt-X, as opposed to the Nexus phones.
    I have an appointment this Friday to pick up my 950. For reals.

You had to make an appointment... to pick up a phone?

I thought was the original thought of Android though? To make things interchangeable, easier to use together, etc... basically the opposite of Apple?
    I didn't opt for the higher memory on my phone and have run out of space a few times. Which is why I wanted to look for one that had removable memory next time.

I still haven't caught up to the times with using the cloud for storage. I probably should, since I'm at home/work and on wifi 90% of the time.

I make an appointment so I don't have to wait in a line. I hate waiting to talk to a salesperson when I just need to give someone money, so I text my guy, he takes a break and voila, I'm there when he gets back. LIKE MAGIC.

The point of Android was to compete with Apple and MS for user data acquisition. Google made it hardware agnostic and free because that was a great way to get lots of user data. I don't think they did or do care what the hardware spec is. In the early days memory was expensive and it was helpful to make the user responsible for buying their own. Now that flash is cheap and Apple has sold the perception that phones should come with fixed storage everyone gets to profit from charging $100 for $10 worth of flash. All win!

Admittedly, not adding a physical slot really cuts down on weight, power, and packaging... but I'm sure it's mostly driven by beancounters.
    Last edited by thesameguy; November 16th, 2015 at 11:20 AM.