Page 76 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    I got an S9 64. It's awesome.
    I love my S9+ but it's humongous. Damn big phones. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    That's why I went overkill on my current phone with 8gb ram, and 128gb storage. Plan to keep the thing 4 years if I can
    That's a beast! My company laptop has about the same.
    Looks like the OP6 is coming out soon. Looks like they are mostly identical, except the fingerprint sensor is on the back. Slightly larger, slightly newer chipset, etc...

Is T-mobile the only carrier that supports them, besides AT&T?

The OnePlus phones are GSM only.

No go for now on CDMA networks like Verizon (for now), Sprint (pending potential merger with T-Mobile), any micro-carriers that lease network space from them are a bit of a US oddity and have mostly been phased out worldwide, FWIU.

Isn't CDMA now surviving only on Verizon in US and in China (or was it Japan?)?
    Surely time to move forward.

There are a handful of countries that still have networks up. Verizon is scheduled to shut theirs down at the end of 2019 in favor of VoLTE, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    I got an S9 64. It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    I love my S9+ but it's humongous. Damn big phones. Meh.
    Anything to look out for on these? This is what I have been looking at for a replacement. I'm not thrilled about the size. But the larger memory and storage is helpful, if I'm going to keep it for awhile.

Battery life sucks in european version with Samsung own's Exynos CPUs, the US models get the far better Snapdragon 845 that makes battery life decent. Camera is pretty good, also for video. Display is amazing. Audio is good. I don't particularly like (no, I hate them) the curved edges. Touchwiz is no more, now it is called "Samsung Experience" and it is a more refined and elegant launcher. Yet, you can change stuff in it with Themes or go straight to use a different launcher (I always use Nova Prime on my smartphones).

Maybe I didn't go back far enough, but I didn't see anyone with Pixel 2 experience. I tend toward the cheap end of the spectrum and am hoping Verizon runs a deal on them next month since my 2-year is up on my Droid Turbo 2 which has been having more frequent weird hiccups lately.

Had bad luck with my last Motorola, a Droid Maxx - it crapped itself about four months shy of 2 years - but at least the Droid Turbo 2 has done better than that. It has some features I really like, the 'chop chop' motion to turn on the flashlight and the 'twist' motion to activate the camera, and the battery life is outstanding. So it would be tempting to just go with whatever Motorola option is on sale, but the durability makes me a little nervous, plus the Pixel phones don't come with the bloatware that (all?) other Android phones do. I don't care about waiting for the Pixel 3 which should hit the street in October.

Maybe I could prolong the life of my phone if I didn't stick it in my bike jersey pocket for long summer bike rides...
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

Administrator
    No experience with the Pixel 2 mostly because everyone I know who buys phones like that (usually straight from manufacturer and not subsidized by carrier) bought a Pixel/Pixel XL and is still using it. I'm still very happy with my Pixel XL, enough so that I'm not particularly paying attention to the Pixel 3.

I remember some initial complaints about screen burn in on the Pixel 2, but I haven't heard much about it since right after it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    Anything to look out for on these? This is what I have been looking at for a replacement. I'm not thrilled about the size. But the larger memory and storage is helpful, if I'm going to keep it for awhile.
    The phone as whole is fine, better than the S7. The odd thing is that the camera is slightly slower and less reliable. Sometimes it crashes. I did a battery-out reset equivalent (not factory reset) yesterday so we'll see if that helps.

In fairness, it could have something to do with the MicroSD card. It's a fast Samsung EVO model, but I haven't cleaned since the S7 as it had all of my MP3s on it. I suspect this is likely to be so as Spotify (which I have also set up to store music on the MicroSD card) also exhibits similarly strange behaviour from time to time.