Page 85 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That's odd, it should be tied to your Google account regardless of SIM or even the presence of a SIM. I'm not aware of any apps that are restricted to a number of devices other than the actual owned-music playback on Google Music. Can still install the app though, just can't play unless it's one of the 10 authorized devices.
    It's possible it was some sort of timing thing. Perhaps my phone had somehow not been registered, or did not know it had been registered as making the purchase.

Perhaps it would have fixed itself after a day or two...

As I said, I eventually got it installed without needing to pay twice. I think the "family plan" may add an extra complication. Strangely, the "family" seems limited to 5 members which, even these days, will not handle some cases.
    Last edited by SportWagon; July 8th, 2020 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Updated to Android 10 a couple of days ago. I really like it so far, really actually enjoying the gesture navigation (which is optional). My favorite thing so far is the notifications I occasionally get telling me some app has been doing something nefarious while in the background and giving me the option to make it stop. I had a notification the first morning after upgrading that the Speedtest.net app was asking for my location while running in the background, then gave me the option to only allow it to get my location when I'm actively using the app. Good stuff.
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A for my wife, and it's wanting to upgrade to Android 10 right now. My wife doesn't know about the tablet yet, so I can think about it for a while.

Now that Google has dropped the longish distinctive dessert names, it sure makes searches more difficult. Web in general, and e.g. github issue lists.

Administrator
    Google is really bad about just publishing lists of "here's what's new in this version".

11 is out now. Overall good, but it somehow fucked up file extension associations when launching from OneDrive, which is annoying as that's where I keep my password safe.

What's the deal with contacts saved by Google?
    Last year my phone had all my contacts reset to something like my 2013 contacts.
    Then someone else on my family plan had the same issue yesterday (all contacts gone as she didn't have a smartphone before 2015).

Neither one of us were messing around with the sync/upload/import settings.

Administrator
    I haven't run into this problem at all. This is in the stock Contacts app and it's tied to one of your google accounts? I get the exact same list in my app that I do if I go to https://contacts.google.com/, maybe see if all the contacts you expected to see are there?

I had some issues where I added a contact on my work phone and it didn't show up when I accessed my contacts on my personal. I solved it, but I don't quite remember how. I think even using the google contacts app while signed in, doesn't necessarily mean you are saving the contact to your account, and you might have to select that somewhere.

Administrator
    Just occurred to me, I've basically almost always only used Google-made phones, I wonder if other phone makers have their own contact things.

They do, especially companies like Samsung that want to lock you in to their brand and have the clout to try and do so.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Thanks Tom.
    I managed to replicate one set of contacts from the link you sent, but had trouble with the other.
    After syncing my (completely empty) calendar on my phone it correctly synced my contacts (after deleting all of them first).

The annual tradition continues: Sony has unveiled a new phone that I want badly based on the specs and promised capabilities, but the price and availability dates are not announced yet.

Get that weak shit off my track