Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11

Junior Potato

Windows 11

Windows 11 is announced and coming later this year.

So far it has delivered a resounding "meh" from me, as it appears to be a few okayish under-the-hood changes in order to justify wrapping them in a platform for further delivery of ads... wait, I mean personalised user experiences to your desktop. Running Android apps natively is nice, direct storage access for the GPU is great.

I think I will wait to upgrade when I am forced kicking and screaming to let go of Windows 10 unless it is proven that it is an essential requirement to keep up with PC technology. I do envision Microsoft doing something shitty like blocking access to Game Pass to force users across in the near future, prior to Win 10's 2025 retirement date.

Information here!

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-11

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Non-native Win10 is shit.

I do not expect upgraded Win11 to give more stable "user experience". Can't wait for Debian 11 to launch.
    acket.

Administrator
    The TPM requirement is going to be a sticking point, I think.

4gb of ram and tpm 1.2 (Microsoft confirmed the bare minimum is *not* 2.0) are not very high requirements for an OS that will be released in the market by the end of 2021/beginning of 2022, I'd say.
    Also Microsoft today announced that Direct Storage is going to be a Win 11 esclusive, no compatibility for Win 10.
    So, if you have NVMes and a decent gaming rig... prepare to upgrade, with calm, next year.

Administrator
    Well, I accidentally ended up with Windows 11. It just came in with my other Windows updates. So far...it seems really similar to Windows 10.

I haven't liked Win10. In fact I'm basically not using my new PC as a desktop because I prefer trusty old Win7 on my ancient machine. Gotta use the new one for gaming of course, and I don't know if it's Win10 or nVidia doing it but triple screen implementation is constantly changing things up (icon locations, start menu and taskbar locations, etc). How I wish I could alt+tab out of and back into iRacing without it going into Windowed mode...

/rant

Administrator
    I've had three complete lockups of the computer so far with Windows 11, but the most annoying thing is that the Windows store seems pretty broken. Flight Sim demands a mandatory update, but the Windows store doesn't think there is one.

The big benefit is that my bluetooth adapter seems much more stable with 11 than it did with 10, but we'll see if that lasts.

At any rate, it doesn't really seem worth updating to at the moment.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    I don't know if it's Win10 or nVidia doing it but triple screen implementation is constantly changing things up (icon locations, start menu and taskbar locations, etc).

/rant
    Must be Win10. That happens with my newer machine, and that's running integrated intel graphics.
    acket.

Junior Potato
    MOAR info about Win 11. I spotted a tidbit here that direct storage is coming to Win 10 as well, so that’s nice.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I used 7 until I absolutely couldn't (when I upgraded a PC a few years ago).

Come to think of it, I've only used 98, 7 and 10. I skipped all the bullshit between them. I will likely use 10 until I absolutely can't.

The multi-screen jumping shit is most definitely a Windows thing. My work PC does it and I don't even have a gfx card on it. It's annoying as fuck.