Page 11 of 96 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

Yeah, the apps are upgraded quickly since they're just pushed through the app store. As long as there isn't anything that requires a new API that's part of the new system update.

Here's hoping all the companies live up to what they've said for this update, there are a lot of cool system level things that might trip up.

At $180, the 2nd gen Moto G was already one of the best deals in tech. Today though, Amazon's taking an extra $30 off.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    I hope it gets Android L quickly, as it would be a huge improvement over that somewhat bulky old android+touchwiz.
    Just saw this, remember that whenever you get a Samsung device, you will always be dealing with Android + TouchWiz. Android L is not going to change that. In fact there's a good chance you will not see many of the changes that Android L introduces, because the design changes will be left out and the functionality changes may be re-interpreted or replaced by something uniquely Samsung, so that they can continue to offer a unique, Samsung-only experience.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Freude, just install Nova Launcher and activate themes, icons, animations and app drawer in Lollipop style, if you are worried about it.

Hmm. A Samsung-only experience. Is that why Pocket Trains does not work? (Exits before really starting).

Posting from my new 1st gen Moto G LTE.

Waiting impatiently for my SIM to arrive from Straight Talk.

Anyone had one of the new fabric/woven cover USB cables in their hands? Are they in fact more flexible than the standard plastic covered version?

--

Waiting for my number to port... *twiddle*
    Whoomah!

Seems the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact may be available in the US already...

I think I may have bought two. They seem slightly better overall, but it could be because they "feel" new to me. Mine were made by King Power and are under their XPower1!11!1!!!11! brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Seems the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact may be available in the US already...
    I thought it was indeed. Been available here in store since late October: feels much longer while actually is only about 2 months.

A week later I'm pretty satisfied with the device: display is fantastic, built feels good, it is so tiny, even compared to my Moto G (and yet it has a 4.6" 720p panel vs. the G 2013 4.5" 720p one), camera is actually doing well (haven't had the time to tool around much but I did find myself pretty much everytime saying "fuck it" and just fire it up clicking the shutter button and shooting in Superior Auto Mode (which is the default when you wake up the camera by the mechanical button). Stereo front speaker are fine, not HTC One material, but way better than a Galaxy S5 or iPhone 6 even. RAM is plenty even if *only* 2GB instead of the 3GB on the full blown Z3, the Snapdragon 801 is a beast and the phone has never once lagged on me.
    Battery is simply phenomenal. Already getting around safe 9-11 hours a day it tops like almost 2 days with Stamina mode on... and I've not even bothered with the optional other energy saver options.

Few niggles with the device:
    1) after owning a Moto G which I used with no cover and no glass protector (and it fell from my pockets and hands many times when at work) the Z3C feels fragile or rather in need of be nurtured and protected. I'm mighty worried about the glass on the back (and the front too) and I should order soon on Amazon a protective case. Too bad it will ruin a bit the gorgeous aesthetics of the fiery red model, but better be safe than beautiful.

2) Having to open the flip stuff to charge the phone is annoying and worries me the flip will break and render the phone waterproof protection pretty moot, I've looked in town for the magnetic dock but to no avail, once again it will be ordered online soon. Same as the magnetic adaptor for the microUSB cable.

3) Automatic Light feature... simply doesn't work on the device! It doesn't dynamically adapt to changing light conditions for the sake of its life! Must be a bug, and a pretty serious one! If that wasn't enough, Auto Light mode by default sets itself at a pretty low value, but you can manually adjust it.
    In the end I deactivated it and, since battery is so great, just set a quite decent fixed light value. Hope they fix it nonetheless.

4) Sony UI ain't bad at all - but I already put Nova Launcher on it - too bad some of the main Sony bloatware *cannot* be deactivated, even if this is a device with KitKat. Bad Sony, Bad Sony. Luckily I don't use them and they are not bothersome once notifications are deactivated for them. Only annoyance is the Album (Sony own gallery app) that is the preset app when viewing pics from the cam and you cannot set another default for it (on the Samsung GS2 and Moto G I used to set QuickPic as my gallery app with no problem, and deactivate the OEM gallery app).

5) Ok, this must be my biggest problem: the phone doesn't have a Do Not Disturb Mode AT ALL. I mean, the phone has a blocking mode, but it's just like a number blacklist. Nothing else.
    Whereas on my Galaxy S2, even when it was on Gingerbread!, the Blocking Mode was a mode to block phonecall and other notification with option to let throught your favourite numbers and let alarm clocks work. Same for the great Motorola Assist app with the Rest mode. This is problematic with me and handling sleeping in the pause between shifts as I used to let myself available for my mother, my 3 colleagues, my boss and my firm in case of emergency but block anyone else.
    I hope Lollipop, which in stock Android *does* include a DnD mode, will bring this feature... it is the one single things that really bothers me a lot about the phone.

I don't root and do not unlock bootloaders, so those kind of options are not available to me.