Page 13 of 83 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    -The Menu button: It's not a menu button anymore, it's a recent apps button. You can hold it for menu, but that means you lose the in-app search by press and hold the old one had. Hold on the home button now brings up Google search/now. I liked the old way better.
    -High memory usage, I need to find out ways to get rid of some Samsung/AT&T bloat.
    -I miss the quick shotcuts and alarm note on the lock screen. Also no lock screen widgets, which were just added in one of their last OTA to my Note 2.
    -Google now can be annoying (I never used it before), telling me the drive time for work at all times, except when I actually need to go to work, thinking I work somewhere else, etc.
    Menu button to recent apps is a change that all Android has made, the idea being that different apps had menu buttons or settings buttons or neither, so it was better to make it a system level thing and let apps handle their menus.

Look into third party lock screen options, I remember using one but I don't remember which one or how to make it work.

You can change all that Google Now stuff. I turned off work commute drive times, and you can manually adjust your home and work addresses.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Re: Google Now. I do have the correct Work and home, which it sometimes gets right, but sometimes it picks a random spot for work. Though it hasn't done this in a few days, so maybe it's realized its mistake. I actually like the commute alert because my drive can vary so much by traffic from day to day.

Two major flagships announced. Well, actually three. Either way, more to come likely as Mobile World Congress is this week.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/1/812...ement-mwc-2015

Galaxy S6 Edge

Galaxy S6

Samsung is aiming closer and closer at the iPhone, not just with design language but also functionality: previously trumpeted features are now gone: microSD support, waterproofing, removable battery.

--------------------------------------

HTC One M9

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/1/812...nds-on-preview

Looks about the same as the M8, but they've given up on the fewer/bigger pixels camera, and has the new Qualcomm guts inside.

*Yawn* Waiting for the Oneplus Two.

Sony announced a new mid-range phone, the Xperia M4 Aqua, that hints at how their future flagships will be upgraded: waterproof USB port (so you don't need a flap over it like on all previous waterproof headphones), and a 64-bit chip.

http://gizmodo.com/sony-xperia-m4-aq...two-1688850062

Anyone care to recommend me a new phone? Looking to buy a sim free handset as I use GiffGaff. Checked a few contracts for the Z3 Compact, which has caught the eye, but all worked out more expensive them buying the phone myself and staying with GiffGaff.

Main uses for me are music, calls and photos (a physical button to take said photos is preferable). I don't want anything big, hence looking at the Z3 compact, but being realistic I probably don't need anything that expensive either. Ideally I'd like to get something within the next 2-3 weeks.

Unfortunately most of the smaller phones get lower quality cameras, and don't have the software processing to make up for it. The Moto G 2014 and Z3 Compact get the best reviews for sub 5 inch Android phones.

Thanks, looks like I might have to stump up for the Z3C.

Glad I didn't wait for the S6. I'm happy with the Note 4 for the most part, and the S6 is a severe let down.

If you can hold out, the price may go down soon, the M4 Aqua should put some pressure on it.