Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

LOL, I can see how that would get old real fast.

DID YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE

#winning

Lol

Several of my Android phones currently have no Mobile service, but they still work as very useful little computers. On WiFi, or as a GPS standalone.

I have a few WiFi only Android devices as well, it's been so long since I've set their time...but yeah, the seconds thing is interesting.
    Get that weak shit off my track

My 2-year contract with AT&T will be up in a few months, so it's probably time to start thinking about phones again. I've been quite satisfied with my S3 since I got it. That is until it performed an OTA update to Android and it started getting laggy and mini-freezy. I dislike waiting 10 seconds to be able to enter my unlock code. And besides I'm always looking to improve the camera that I carry with me all the time.

Initial research shows most of the good smartphones continue to get larger. I kind of decided when I got my S3 that I didn't want anything bigger in my pocket. The S5 is tempting at an early glance (I am familiar with the Samsung Way) but it's a bit large on paper. Looks like the NEXUS 5 is slightly smaller. And the LG G2 seems to hit the sweet spot - larger screen fitted into a case the same size as the S3. The G2 is a little older, soon to be replaced by the G3 which I believe has gone bigger as well.

There's currently a deal on the G2 where I could get it free with a contract extension, and I can trade in my S3 to Amazon for ~$100. That's tempting.

Just early thoughts for now. I'm sure I'll pour over it more before too long.

A few suggestions, to go along with suggesting you buy unlocked and off-contract so you can save on your monthly bill:

Sony Xperia Z2 - because it's a spec monster, and Sony doesn't bog down their phones like Samsung does; bezels make it larger than the screen size would indicate
    Motorola Moto X (or Moto X+1) - cheaper, smaller, slightly lower spec'd than top models but just as fast because of lightweight software; camera was very bad at launch, improved with updates
    OnePlus One - top specs, highly customizable, low price, but at 5.5" is larger than you'd like

Why I didn't recommend anything from Samsung or LG: because, as you've seen, they have a tendency to go crazy adding their own services, apps and customizations that slow down the system as a whole.

I don't know if you want the hassle of selling on eBay for an extra $50-70 (after fees), but my old Galaxy S3 just sold for $190 on there.

A refurbished Motorola Atrix I bought a few weeks ago to use as a hopefully more reliable GPS device does seem to work well for such, no SIM card.

Recorded all bicycle rides I tried. One day it stopped GPSing when I did a much-of-day recording, with lots of driving. It stopped while I was inside a WalMart where GPS probably won't reach. And later I noticed the time had set itself to probably factory default time. I checked the partially completed log a couple of times that day with https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....app.gpxviewer and it didn't seem to cause a problem.

But this weekend the Samsung Galaxy S4 recorded both 40km Saturday and 60km Sunday in the Strava app alright. I used https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hibo.gpsstatus to make sure "Xtra data" was downloaded, and also started https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dhak.gpslogger simultaneously. And https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dhak.gpslogger on the Atrix recorded both rides also. I didn't check on the S4 on Saturday until I'd finished. On Sunday I checked only once, when I stopped for a snack at about 45km. I realized that I should pay attention to what the screen is when I turn the phone off and put it away. I might make my main home screen blank so even if it gets tickled somehow it won't start or stop anything I don't want.

But it's not clear to me that accidentally touching anything would cause the entire GPS service to apparently stop. (No apps seemed to be able to see any satellites until a hard reset of the device).
    Last edited by SportWagon; May 11th, 2014 at 07:07 PM.

Benior - It's probably not too much hassle to clear data from the phone. I imagine at that price it's rooted or jailbroken or whatever they call it these days. Mine is tied to ATT, and I remember struggling for a few days to unlock my original Galaxy when I moved to England.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    suggesting you buy unlocked and off-contract so you can save on your monthly bill:
    I didn't know this was an option with ATT. This seems new. It'd save me $300/yr on the bill to go off contract. Phones cost quite a bit more though. Hmm. I'd come out just a bit ahead if I buy a top of the line new Galaxy every 2 years vs going on contract.

Why I didn't recommend anything from Samsung or LG: because, as you've seen, they have a tendency to go crazy adding their own services, apps and customizations that slow down the system as a whole.
    My GS3 was fine until it updated to Android 4.3.

I'll take a look at the other phones you mentioned too. I have several things to balance -- physical size, battery life, camera quality, price -- and I doubt I'll find all the ideal things in one phone.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    I didn't know this was an option with ATT. This seems new. It'd save me $300/yr on the bill to go off contract. Phones cost quite a bit more though. Hmm. I'd come out just a bit ahead if I buy a top of the line new Galaxy every 2 years vs going on contract.
    Having your bill be cheaper for not having a subsidized phone is indeed new at AT&T, previously the only benefit was that you could cancel service at any time. The top Samsung phones will definitely be expensive, especially if you buy them direct from AT&T, but you can find other phones from other places for much cheaper and get nearly the same experience.