Page 35 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

I got mine the next day (Sprint).

It's newer than the Note 3, that's for sure.

I do like the fingerprint reader. It reads without swiping, very nice.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wonder View Post
    Snap! It won't turn up until the 30th though and I'll have to get a nano sim sorted out with my carrier which is annoying.
    I was able to get a nano SIM unactivated from my carrier so I had it ready for when my phone turned up, then just call them to switch the account to the new SIM when it did.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I got mine the next day (Sprint).

It's newer than the Note 3, that's for sure.

I do like the fingerprint reader. It reads without swiping, very nice.
    You lucky git! The UK release is September 2nd... How is the battery life/charging time? Do you have a case? Which colour did you go for? I ended up with black because I don't fancy blue and gold and that's all we get. I did snag a free Gear VR and random unspecified case though. I also ordered a black LED case as I didn't realise that there was a case was in the bundle and the leather one wasn't available at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I was able to get a nano SIM unactivated from my carrier so I had it ready for when my phone turned up, then just call them to switch the account to the new SIM when it did.
    Everything I've read from Vodafone says that the easiest way is just to drop into a shop and they'll do it there and then. There is one literally on the way home from work so that will do me. Even if I did get one it'll just sit next to this 200GB micro SD card until next Tuesday...

People familiar with such things are saying that Google will not use the Nexus branding on this year's lineup of updated Android devices, because they are no longer "pure" Android. Rather, Android 7.0/Nougat has already been released in its pure state, and pushed to the Nexus 6P, 5X and a few others, but Google's devices will have some amount of customization on top of it.

http://www.androidcentral.com/end-ne...forge-new-path

We've already seen some leaks that show the Google devices having some UI and settings changes from what is in pure/vanilla Nougat, and the idea of Google making their own phones, in some capacity, has been discussed and rumored. I wondered what that would even mean, it's not like they were going to open up their own manufacturing facility, and they already have been able to make design and hardware choices. Since Nougat supports a separate partition for manufacturer skins/changes on top of the base OS, it's not that surprising that Google itself would take advantage of that, and that could be perceived as making their "own" phone instead of what some may have just labeled as stock ones with no customization (despite the fact Google made the stock stuff, too).

Also, rumors/leaks are saying that the prices will go compared to last years 5X and 6P, but not to ridiculous levels. The smaller, 5" device is rumored at $449, and the 5.5"+ device at $599 (for the 32 GB with both).
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wonder View Post
    You lucky git! The UK release is September 2nd... How is the battery life/charging time? Do you have a case? Which colour did you go for? I ended up with black because I don't fancy blue and gold and that's all we get. I did snag a free Gear VR and random unspecified case though. I also ordered a black LED case as I didn't realise that there was a case was in the bundle and the leather one wasn't available at the time.
    Part of the reason I bought the new phone was because my favorite Note 3 case was discontinued and they make the exact one for the Note 7: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01INYPTH8/
    I can't recommend it highly enough if you're looking for that style of case.

Battery life is good. Through a full day of heavy usage in a poor cell reception area (lots of searching for signal) I go to bed with 40% battery.
    Charge time seems reasonable. 90 minutes through the USB-C connector. I don't know for sure as I don't sit and watch it.

It is cool in that it will tell you exactly what time it thinks your battery will run out (or be finished charging).

My 256GB "free" MicroUSB claim was processed successfully today so when that gets here I can finally phase out my iPod Classic.

That is interesting about the Google phones. I suppose it would be about as good as the OS would get still, since they design both.

If I get the Note 7, what are the disadvantages to getting an unlocked version. It would (as of now) only a little more expensive than getting from AT&T. I would lose all of the AT&T bloatware which is awesome, and I assume it would be easier to sell it second hand. Disadvantage is I have to pay upfront (or 0% over a year from Amazon maybe). Let's ignore the financials though, since with Next it gets all kinds of complicated.

Aside from price, I don't think there are any disadvantages. VoLTE stuff might be an issue at some point, carriers can be weird about that, but that's minor.

I keep interchanging MicroUSB and MicroSD. Forgive me.

Sony reveals the Xperia XZ and X Compact.

The XZ is basically an also-ran in the flagship market: should have been released 6 months ago, and still isn't better than the Galaxy S7 in any meaningful way.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-xperia-xz
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/01/...a-xz-hands-on/

The X Compact is a 4.6" midrange phone: http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-x...-compact-hands

I'm not really digging the size of my new Moto X Pure, unfortunately.

5.7 vs. 4.7 screen size

I actually prefer the slightly smaller original size. Even with my big hands it's difficult to reach the opposite side of the phone with my thumb.

I'd rather have something thinner/smaller personally.