Page 53 of 96 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

So with the new phone aspect ratios, we need some kind of standard for measuring screen size. A 6" screen at 16.9 and a 6" screen with 18.5:9 are not the same size. They should probably just start detailing as WxH.

This was brought up because I'm trying to decide between the S8 and S8+. At least on AT&T, the difference in price is down to $50 (so like $2 a month if you do the 2 year payment plan). Since the only difference is size, I'm trying to compare to my Note 4. I don't want to downsize my screen size much, but would love a smaller phone overall. S8+ is taller, but narrower. Gonna have to stop by Best Buy and look into it.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; April 20th, 2017 at 08:55 AM.

I couldn't get to sleep last night until I'd done the basic calculations for the following post...

http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?...l=1#post100510

I used Apache2 running under the GNURoot Debian non-root chroot on my MotoE so that I could simply use Firefox to access the gear calculator I indicate on that phone (no web access necessary).

GNURoot Debian App is at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t.debian&hl=en but be careful about going there; Google seems to hijack a lot of your resources.

So three days now with the S8+, and I'm loving it. I hope it doesn't run into any issues.

My Note 4 was doing so well with the most recent updates and replacement battery, I almost didn't upgade. But the new phone highlights just how slow the Note 4 was. Especially with Mail, Camera, and messaging apps.

I love the smart lock feature, but it needs some tweaks. So basically it will leave all the security (face recognition, fingerprint, and PIN, as mine is set up) off under certain circumstances. The most obvious, and something most devices have is time. But it also will leave them off in certain places (geo-fencing), or when connected to certain bluetooth devices. The big miss here is there's no option for wifi. The other issue is that when it is "unlocked" the finger print scanner no longer turns the phone on, or gets you past the lock screen. You HAVE to swipe. Also the location of the finger print scanner means you have to enter your PIN (or wipe) to turn on when it's sitting on a desk or table, which is kinda annoying.

I'm digging the screen, though I think the curved edges are pointless. I'd like to see a screen go to the edge but maintain either a near nothing curve, or just a very thin metal bezel. Also with the corners or the screen were less curved like I mentioned before. Wasted space there.

Battery life has been good, but I haven't had a heavy usage day. Today's the most I've had so far, lots of messaging and poker, and after unplugging it at 99% before bed, it's now at 59% at 5 p.m.

Bluetooth performance is better than the Note 4, though it's kinda slow to connect to my car.

Transferring everything over was a breeze, except it added all of my facebook friends to my contact list which was annoying. I used a combination of wired smart switch from samsung and google cloud. Skipped any AT&T help on that.

Anyway, will update as I dive into it more.

About three months ago I switched from my Lumia 950 to a Galaxy S7 Edge - I am doing some testing for work, and unfortunately the thing I need to test only works on Android and iOS, and I'm sure as shit not getting an iPhone. I've been generally happy with the S7 - I have enjoyed the improvements in the few apps I use (vs. the WP version) and lamented the loss of some UI and email functionality... on the whole an acceptable trade, maybe a slight gain.

Anywho, yesterday I took several photos of things I was working on - I tend to photo-document stuff instead of writing things down just in case I neglect to note some detail that becomes important later. I have OneDrive on the S7 (which has possibly been better & faster than it was on the Lumia) so that if I lose the phone, I don't lose my documentation. This morning I went to download photos from onedrive to archive and found they weren't there. On Windows Phone, that usually means an upload was interrupted and the app is sitting at an error message... but no error message on the S7 app. And, the app doesn't show pending photos. Okay... maybe it lost access to the gallery? Nope, and more importantly the 10 or so photos I took yesterday 100 miles away aren't even in the gallery.

I know the photos were taken, because I have the OCD habit of checking each photo after I snap it to be sure what I need is legible. They were there yesterday - at least, each one individually as I didn't check them all at the end of the day. But they are definitely gone now. What the hell?

I noticed recently on my S7 that for some reason there are 2 different Camera Photo folders (both viewable in Gallery). One only contains photos that were taken on a certain day. Have a look and see.

Yeah, I tried that after reading some threads on issues with Gallery - and found the S7 is definitely doing some weird stuff. It created some "events" and whatnot, various classifications for things I have no idea about. But, no missing photos. I went so far as mounting the filesystem and there is nothing from Wednesday anywhere. Really annoyed about that, and of course now I have concerns that it'll happen again with something I cannot reproduce even by driving 100 miles.

Various Google and Android updates: http://www.androidcentral.com/google-io-2017

Nothing really ground breaking. Picture-in-picture in Android O might be the most visible change coming from this.
    Get that weak shit off my track

root@gnuroot:/# apt-get install dropbear
    [...]
    root@gnuroot:/# dropbear

ATTENTION: A bind system call was requested on port: 22
    The port has been changed. If connecting from outside GNURoot, use: 2022

ATTENTION: A bind system call was requested on port: 22
    The port has been changed. If connecting from outside GNURoot, use: 2022

root@gnuroot:/# ssh -R 8022:localhost:2022 userid@server.net
    userid@server.net%

userid@server.net% ssh -x -p 8022 localhost
    The authenticity of host '[localhost]:8022 ([::1]:8022)' can't be established.
    Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
    Warning: Permanently added '[localhost]:8022' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
    userid@localhost's password:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
    permitted by applicable law.
    userid@localhost:~$

Oh wow... My head hurts.
    Last edited by SportWagon; June 8th, 2017 at 02:54 PM.

So just quickly, my phone (Galaxy S5) is pretty much permanently non functional so I'll need anew phone promptly. I'll try to research tonight but must pull the trigger soon. What's the good Android option right now? Something of similar size (not gigantic but no smaller than GS5). Pixel? S8? OnePlus Whateveritisnow? Do want awesome camera and expandable memory, and good battery life without weighing a ton. That's off the top of my head

Been happy with my S5, aside from the usual "old" phone slowdowns of the past year since it got full.

Worst thing is I probably won't be able to recover my photos from the internal memory.

Galaxy S8, Pixel (huge cost), One Plus 5. LG G6 also is quite cheap.
    S8 and Pixel get waterproof, but are single camers. OP5 and G6 get dual cameras. OP5 has no microSD capability, same as the Pixel.
    Also Samsung is giving people buying S8 and S8+ a 200 dollar discount if they bring them an old (iOS and Android) functional smartphone: your S5 may not but if you manage to have an old S2 around still working or a Moto G... heck, it would be worthy to try buying a 100 dollar used Moto G and give the sale offer of 200 afterwards (as ludicrous as it sounds). This Samsung's offer is US Only, AFAIK.