Page 61 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

The Moto X Pure was a big letdown for me. The original Moto X had a OLED screen, whereas the pure was backlit. I didn't realize that until after I bought it. I should have done more research, but I didn't think they'd make it worse. The camera was a little better. But, nowhere near as good as the Nexus 6.

I love waving my hand over it to check notifications too.

I'm looking to upgrade soon too, and I think I'll probably end up with a Pixel, or Pixel2.

Administrator
    I liked mine at first, but it seems like it just wasn't designed to last. More and more issues coming up, like the battery life on my wife's phone (she would lose 75% of the battery in one hour under light usage), charging ports failing on both phones, and it ended up being so much slower than I'd expected. It was an improvement over my Nexus 5 that it replaced, but I definitely get why it cost what it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This is the first time I'm using a screen protector, too. I hate it, but I got a scratch on my Moto X screen the second day I owned it, and I don't want to repeat that.
    Did the MotoX have a plastic screen or something? It's pretty difficult to scratch a glass panel...

Administrator
    It was Gorilla Glass 3, Pixel XL is gorilla glass 4. I've heard of scratches on both and have them on my Moto X to prove it.

In other news, I haven't charged the phone in about 12 hours and it's seen pretty heavy use so far (basically spent lunch hour reading on it, lots of looking at twitter since builds at my new company take forever and there's a lot of downtime), as well as playing music almost the whole day through my bluetooth headphones. Battery's at 57% right now.

Yeah, I don't know how you managed to scratch it then haha. You take sandpaper to it?

Stuck it up his...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    charging ports failing on both phones,
    Now that you mention it, my wife's original Moto X Pure had become very picky with micro-USB cables before she broke the screen.

The warranty replacement refurb seems fine for now.

Administrator
    Light usage day on a Saturday, it's been off the charger since about 8am, it's now 5:29 pm, battery is at 84%.

I'm finding that when a smartphone stays at home a lot during a day it uses a ton less battery compared to traveling, even if you're not actively using Maps and so on.

Yesterday: Travel day from Joliet, IL to ORD, to LAX and finally home to Fresno. Battery down to about 30% after 18 hours.
    Today: Phone has been unplugged for 12 hours, it's at 70% battery remaining.

So on the camera front, I've uploaded a few of my better OP5 photos to this album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9YbIth4fM5YorNYw2
    [I'm not sure how much the quality is reduced here, but it doesn't appear to be noticeably bad like FB]

Overall I'm more impressed with the camera than I was initially.

It can't do panoramas, at all, which I presume will be fixed in an upcoming software update.

Resolution and detail seems pretty good, as seen in what I call the "Artist Album Cover Photo Shoot" photo, which was taken through a second story hotel window in Winslow, AZ.

Night photography is decent and the night auto white balance seems spot on so far. The photo of the old Falcons lined up was hand-held out the window of a parked-but-running rental car in the rain.

Pro Mode tends to produce more accurate colors and saturation levels compared to the default setting which is Auto HDR. Sometimes AHDR looks a little on the artificial side, particularly when lighting gets tricky. The photo of the morning sun peeking through the trees in my front yard was taken both ways and I preferred the Pro Mode look (no adjustments needed).

The quickness that the camera is ready to take a shot is mind-blowing, coming from my S5.