Page 64 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

Since I've been following news about various phones, a lot of the internet has been going hard have the OnePlus 5 for two things 'jelly scroll' which happens to a relatively small but vocal set of users, where scrolling causes some warping of graphics, and apparently OnePlus 5 phones crash when dialing 911.

Turns out it might be a more general issue with Android, or something? And not just a OnePlus issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...s_compilation/

and then there's this article, which sums up some of my annoyances, not just with Android phones, but phones and gadgets in general:

https://www.xda-developers.com/ads-s...ver-asked-for/

Everyone is trying to come up with something 'new' to sell a product on, that they are starting to forget about functionality in some cases. Example, thinness is fantastic, but at a certain point when you lose battery life compared to a previous generation device that was thin enough, the returns don't really match up.
    Last edited by Jason; July 21st, 2017 at 04:58 PM.

Administrator
    I think that's why I'm so far really happy with the Pixel. Screen's brilliant, battery life is great, and there's no cruft on top of Android. Even the Google Assistant is unobtrusive, I hardly even realize it's there most of the time.

I wasn't aware of the 911 issue until you mentioned it, Jason. And just now OnePlus notified me of an update to fix this very issue, which took about 2 minutes to install.

Any Assistant can fuck off, I find them majorly annoying.
    I would like just to have a phone that have everything and no gimmick: so basically a Galaxy S8 with an even bigger battery, stereo speakers, less thinness, rugged appearance, no edges and fucking NO glass on the back.
    My Sony Xperia Z3 Compact got its back glass panel broken twice and there's no point in a glass back when the only way to protect your phone is to put it inside a case.
    Unless you are one of those white collar office workers that do not complain about cellular battery life and product durability since you do live mooching office wi-fi and do not know what's the real world outside...
    Last edited by Blerpa; July 22nd, 2017 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    I wasn't aware of the 911 issue until you mentioned it, Jason. And just now OnePlus notified me of an update to fix this very issue, which took about 2 minutes to install.
    Yeah, I'm glad they responded to the issue quickly, unlike other bugs, that's a pretty important one to take seriously and patch.

Well, they couldn't just leave it there... if something bad would have happened I bet a class action or something similar would have been started by people.

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    I would like just to have a phone that have everything and no gimmick
    The beautiful, beautiful irony One man's "everything" is another man's "gimmick".
    Get that weak shit off my track

But everything is everything, so to speak. A gimmick is modularity like in the G5...

And some people think being rugged, or waterproof, or having a huge battery, or stereo speakers, or a metal body, or a fingerprint scanner, etc. are gimmicks.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I think needlessly thin phones are gimmicky, and hurts those that want longer battery life, but the market has dictated thin is in.