Page 65 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

That sounds reasonable, but my OP3T is 6mm shorter, 8mm narrower, and 2.7mm thinner than my Nexus 6 was, yet has an extra 180mAH of battery.

Also, thinness has probably become more important as default flagship phone screen sizes have gotten bigger.

Administrator
    Yeah, they are definitely getting better. The Pixel XL is just about the same dimensions as the Moto X Pure, though it's thinner (Moto X lists at 0.44 inches and the Pixel just says 0.2~0.3 inches), but 450mAH more out of the Pixel's battery. That and I have to assume the components are getting better at power management too, that's about a 15% increase in battery capacity but the battery life is increased significantly more than that.

Despite getting bigger screen and thinner bodies, I've never had a phone that had worse battery life than the one that preceded it.

A lot of people were worried the S8, and especially S8+ were going to have bad battery life because of Samsung backing off a bit, you know to prevent pocket bombs, along with the huge screens. I just went from 10 a.m. Saturday to about 10 p.m Sunday night on one charge. Still had 25% left when I put it on the charger, easily would have lasted till morning. That included lots of facebook/instagram browsing, some youtubing, traveling using GPS briefly, another 2 hour drive with BT music streaming (location services were still on), and a small amount of talk time, and I use the always on lock screen.

(we get it, you like the S8... )

The Pixel XL gets fantastic battery life if it has a good signal and you're not using it. If you're using it a lot and/or it has a bad signal, it's no bueno. I have a medium signal and wonky WiFi in my office, and listen to podcasts over Bluetooth headphones, so I had to buy a USB-C charger so that it doesn't die in the afternoon.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Getting the itch for a new phone, but wanted to wait until the Moto Z2 was launched.
    Then I read a few reviews/previews."The 'Motorola' you once knew and loved is dead. This is a Lenovo phone."

Maybe now I'll wait for the Pixel 2. Long live my Moto X2.

Got tired of overthinking my next phone, so I purchased a OnePlus 5. Hope I don't hate it

Due to arrive on the 14th apparently.

It seems to be getting better. I must have missed it in one of the update release notes but Panorama mode now works properly on the camera (still can't do Landscape panoramas though). And apparently the OP5 isn't exactly a disaster around water despite lack of any IP rating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Yfro6q1ZY

I'm not going to take mine on my next kayaking trip or anything, but I won't be so worried about a light rain anymore.

https://youtu.be/4YfZw4CRs50?t=146

This gives you a better idea. He opens the phone up after the water test to see where water comes in. Water is spotted on the sim card holder, inside near the bottom speaker, by the alert slider. So like most electronics, it'll hold up to a spray, but you'll want to dry it off. It might survive a dunking, but you also might end up with water inside which can have a negative impact over time. I won't have any fear using it sporadically in the rain, but I'm not going to actively use it in the rain. And if I end up on a kayak, I'll put it in a waterproof bag with capacitive support. (fancy ziplock)

Administrator
    Oooh, I gotta find me one of these fancy ziplocs.

Google Now has been replaced by Google Feed. Which means that, instead of easy access to personalized information that only Google has about my location, schedule, travel time to regular places, etc, it's just a list of news articles. Because Google News being its own app just wasn't visible enough for them.

Way to fucking go, dumbasses.
    Get that weak shit off my track