Page 73 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Got my first ever smartphone a month or two ago. Been using Sony dumbphones before then (T610, K800i, and two other ones).

Sony XA-1 in black. https://store.sony.co.nz/XPERIAXA1BLACK.html

Fricken awesome battery life compared to my last phone, a dumbphone which i only ever used to text and take pics. That lasted barely a day and a half. My current one (in full time stamina mode) lasts about a week depending on use, which is about as long as my fave dumbphone lasted (K800i). And if i put it on ultra stamina mode it'll apparently last about 18 days, depending on use obviously.

That's basically the only reason i caved and got a smartphone, that and the camera - have disabled most apps other than text, photo and a couple other ones. Installed a note taking one and a calendar one that don't track you in any way and only ask for needed permissions.
    No internet browser, no paywave, no GPS location tracking, no Facebook or any other social media apps, and also created a 'fake' (aka new, but not me) Google account just so i could use the blimmen phone the way i want (so i can still grab the occasional app i want/need).

I actually really hate how invasive apps are, asking permissions for things they have no bloody need in knowing other than to sell things to you or other companies etc, or to spy. To many it's second nature, but for me it is all new and i don't like it.

But anyway. It has a great camera, and although the cheap phone cover it has on it always obscures the view (corner/s have fuzziness from the cover in it) the rest of the picture is usually good. Here's one i prepared earlier, of Dad's cat making a hasty retreat from inside my GTS-4 Skyline the other week.

Wish i'd bought a second set of those seat covers all those years ago, was only $12.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineObsession View Post
    ...No internet browser, no paywave, no GPS location tracking, no Facebook or any other social media apps, and also created a 'fake' (aka new, but not me) Google account just so i could use the blimmen phone the way i want (so i can still grab the occasional app i want/need).

I actually really hate how invasive apps are, asking permissions for things they have no bloody need in knowing other than to sell things to you or other companies etc, or to spy. To many it's second nature, but for me it is all new and i don't like it. ...
    yup, that's how to do smartphones

My Sony Xperia Z3 Compact almost kicked the bucket: it spits the MicroSD from the side (clicking lock mechanism not working anymore) and sometimes loses net coverage, erratically.
    Since this happened an afternoon before going on a short holiday, I got in a store and bought an Honor 9 Lite phone (Honor is the economical sub brand of Huawei. Both sell quite a lot in Italy, surely more than HTC, Sony, Motorola, Xiaomi, Meizu, ecc.).

m2rqtN6h.jpg

I spent 206 euro (phone was 229 euro, but I had a 10% discount card) and got a decent medium tier phone, and incredibly enough even NFC is included in it.
    Too bad wifi is not dual band, it doesn't have 4G+ (o superLTE or whatever that's called) and the display seems not as resistent as corning/gorilla glass ones.
    And it's in gorgeous blue shiny colour! LOL

It will become a very decent backup phone: I'm awaiting for my new credit card and then I'll get something really top of the line. Can't wait.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My OnePlus3T's camera hadn't been focusing properly for a bit, and yesterday I realized that it had a slight rattle, so I'm pretty sure that the camera is physically broken. Fortunately, I'm 14 months in to the 2 year extended warranty that I sprang for.

However, I have to pay a $75 deductible and there were no warranty replacements OnePlus3Ts currently in stock. The plus side of that is that I'm getting sent a OnePlus5.

My OP5 has been fantastic, congrats

Has the low light camera performance improved since you bought it? Some early reviews said that in certain low light settings, the OP3T camera, which had optical image stabilization, turned in better performance.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't really do anything serious with phone cameras to be honest, and my previous phone was an iPhone 5S.

That being said, using HQ mode at night results in less noise (aggressive noise reduction), and there's modified Google Camera APKs floating around that are pretty clean in results as well. I have no clue if you'll be happy with the OP5's camera, as I have no breadth of experience with cell phone cameras, sorry

I don't do any serious photography, just "ooh, look at that" snapshots and pictures of my daughter for relatives. A fast shutter speed helps with the latter.

Brand new OP5 showed up less than 24 hours after my claim

S8 has been updated to Oero (AT&T). Samsung side changes are good. Google less so.

The Good:
    -BT compatibility with my Crosstrek is fixed! Before, if I had used any media player other than my MP3 player (YT, embedded video on FB, Pandora, whatever) before getting in the car, the only way to get the music to play again was to disconnect, play the music from the music player, then reconnect. Granted this may have been partly the player, whatever happened with 8.0 update has fixed it. I love it.
    -Always On, Lock, and Home screens have more options, including an extra row for apps on the home screens.
    -Notification drop down has a new feature that basically creates a miniature sized notification bar for system/google things, like WiFi, traffic alerts, etc.

The Bad
    -Notification numbers! They've ruined them. They now completely clear when you clear the notification from the notification window. So, for example if you get a text, it used to have a number of all unread texts on the text button. They'd go away as you actually read the texts. Now that goes away completely as soon as you clear the notification. I guess this is for the neanderthals that can't manage to keep their inboxes clean.
    -All google apps now have a stupid standard size of a white frame. Samsung give you an option to get rid of this, but it doesn't work on the google apps. For example, YouTube used to just be a Red Play button when you had the frames turned off. Now it's the standard rounded square of white, with the play button inside.