Page 75 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    I may need to upgrade soon. I keep running out of internal storage. Other than that. I think I may be at peak cell phone need for quite some time. The incremental changes are not that useful anymore, for me to need a new one very often. I'm still getting 2+ years out of my current one. With more storage, I could easily push it to 3-4 years.
    That's why I went overkill on my current phone with 8gb ram, and 128gb storage. Plan to keep the thing 4 years if I can

My wife is butting up against the limits of her 32 GB phone. It appears to be mostly through apps and not music and videos. Weirdly, when I looked at her app list, some of them displayed a bigger amount of memory used for a second, then showed a lower figure.

It might have shown the cached memory amount (from the last time it was checked), and then updated to the current result.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Administrator
    I've also run into an issue, only with my wife's phone, where the mail app would end up with a runaway cache directory. The space used by that directory wouldn't show up as being used by the app, so there was just this phantom missing space on the phone. I'll have to see if I can find my notes on how I found that.

Administrator
    I thought I might have posted about it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Weird issue with Android that hit my wife's phone. Checking storage said she had 300 megs of 52 gigs free, but the breakdown of data only added up to about 20 gigs used. Mounted it over MTP, which sucks since you can't use WinDirStat or something similar on it. Did a nice binary search to find the offending item, which (from memory, so maybe not exact), /Android/data/com.android.google.gm/cache/*. In there were a ton of IMAP cache files taking up a whopping 31.2 gigs. com.android.google.gm is Gmail. Checking Gmail in the apps list claimed it had like 100 megs in the cache, and clearing cache from there did no good. Ended up deleting them from Windows and it doesn't appear to have hurt anything, just freed up over half of her storage.

Just throwing it out there in case anyone else suddenly finds they're struggling for space when it seems like they should be barely using any.

I had a similar issue with my Note 3. Something to do with how the underlying Linux code reports memory in certain block sizes, and the overlapping Android OS reported it differently and over time a huge gap would be created. Android would be over-reporting the usage when in reality the actual size on disk was much lower.

I have a bad feeling about this random release of 128 and 256GB versions of the S9 that Samsung is doing. I'm worried they're testing the waters to get rid of the SD card slot (again).

I hope not. Then it will be time to jump ship once again.

One of my (many) USB chargers just turned into a USB discharger.

I got an S9 64. It's awesome.