Page 83 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

Administrator
    Updated to Android 10 a couple of days ago. I really like it so far, really actually enjoying the gesture navigation (which is optional). My favorite thing so far is the notifications I occasionally get telling me some app has been doing something nefarious while in the background and giving me the option to make it stop. I had a notification the first morning after upgrading that the Speedtest.net app was asking for my location while running in the background, then gave me the option to only allow it to get my location when I'm actively using the app. Good stuff.

I still find myself looking at newer phones and looking at the cost per month and thinking my S7 is still doing well and why do I need to change it? Also some aspects of the S7 are still better or on par than newer phones as well. I'll be sticking with this one until it breaks I think.

You don't. The S7 is still a great phone.

I went from an S7 to an S9+ just because my S7 was throwing a fit and locking up constantly. Probably a software update causing drama. Battery life and everything was still good after two years.

Administrator
    Impressively, the notifications about apps using permissions that might be outside their bounds appear to extend to Google's own apps, I got a notification that the Phone app was accessing some permissions while backgrounded. I was okay with it, but impressed that they essentially tattled on their own app.

I only went from an S7 to an S9 because my S7's screen was acting up after I walked into the sea with it when it had a cracked screen. Fixed the screen and it's an awesome holiday backup phone.

Having a similar experience as Swervo with Android 10, but I'm not using the gesture navigation.

Oddly, lately the phone has cut off several times with battery percentage in the 20s and refused to turn back on without charging, hopefully that's a temporary bug, because I don't really want to upgrade yet.

Also I just got my third smartwatch, my first that was just a regular purchase and not off Craigslist or a display model. I got one of the Gen 5 Fossil's, and, other than a fiddly clasp, really enjoying it. I especially like the multiple power profiles. I use a custom version with always on screen and tilt to wake for most of the day, and then I let it switch to extended around 10 or so if I need to make the last 10-20% last an extra hour so. This weekend I spent the night away from home, so I switched to time only mode, where the screen is black unless you press one of the hardware buttons, then it just displays the time and date. Obviously this greatly extended my battery life, but makes it less convenient than a traditional watch.

This morning Sony introduced their newest flagship in what would have been there presentation at Barcelona. They then released a 5 minutes "hands-on" that is just a guy saying all the specs and features with far less fluff and fanfare.

It's the Sony Xperia 1 ii (Mark 2, like they do with their RX and alpha cameras)!

https://presscentre.sony.eu/pressrel...ot-dot-2975092

I haven't seen an official price or release date yet ("Spring"), but Gizmodo is saying $1200 and June. I'm not happy about either of those, but this has nearly everything I could realistically ask for out of a 2020 smartphone so I'm probably going to get it.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Waiting for the S20 to be released, then will pick it up about 6-8 weeks in as by then the price will usually have dropped by around USD50+.

My next phone will probably be down market to whoever offers a real headset jack. I know I'm the old man yelling at clouds here but I use a headset a lot with running and I prefer it over having to keep earbuds charged.

Most of my mobile computing is done on a tablet so that's part of it. If my phone can do Google Navigation and make calls I'm set.