Page 84 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

I certainly prefer having a headset jack.

It's one of the things that the new Sony has that I'm excited about. The Pixel 3a has one as well, people are hoping that the 4a will continue it.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yay!

I've been Galaxy for a long while. My personal is a 7 and my work is an 8. I'd happily jump to a Pixel if it had a jack.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    My next phone will probably be down market to whoever offers a real headset jack. I know I'm the old man yelling at clouds here but I use a headset a lot with running and I prefer it over having to keep earbuds charged.

Most of my mobile computing is done on a tablet so that's part of it. If my phone can do Google Navigation and make calls I'm set.
    I was talking with Keith about this the other day. The thing I like about current wireless earbuds is that when you store them, they are charged via the case, so they’re SO MUCH EASIER to manage power wise than the “old” wired BT ear buds that you’d have to remember to charge here or there. With current wireless buds, you just plug in the case here and there, not needing to worry about managing it, because most cases hold like 3x charge. I use my earbuds on a daily basis, and I’ve never not had a charge on them, or ran out of battery, unlike my old pair of wired “wireless” earbuds.

That's cool. Back in 2014 or so I was using a Jabra headset that had to be connected to a micro-USB and had maybe three hours of life. So if you used them for two gym sessions in a week they'd run out the next session if you didn't remember to babysit them.

Yeah, I had similar experiences and didn't come back to BT headsets until recently. The earbuds I have are about 8hrs of use, plus about 3x charge in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    My next phone will probably be down market to whoever offers a real headset jack.
    Pixel 3a acquired.

I migrated all my not contract obligated devices away from Sprint and onto Google Fi this week.

Google Fi was a bit fussy to setup. You get one device/number per e-mail address. I didn't know that and I already ordered a vanity number with my main account. Had to juggle various e-mail addresses and phone numbers all evening to get it worked out.

Replaced my personal phone with the Pixel 3a, keeping my Sprint number. To do so I have to surrender my Google Voice number that I have been using to text from Hangouts the last few years. But it won't really matter since I can use my real number in Hangouts moving forward.

I reused my old Galaxy S7 with my new line of service, my business line (for now) for the law firm I am starting up. Google sent me a SIM for that. Earlier in the day I used Legacy Google Voice to order a vanity phone number for this line but did so under my personal account, so I had to transfer that to another gmail account I set up for that purpose.

I ordered a data-only SIM for my tablet and will move it off of Sprint when that gets here Tuesday.

Initially this will only save me about $30 a month. But once the contracts for Ash's lines of service are up and I migrate them the total savings will be about $130 a month, or half. And I will have moved on from Sprint after 14 years. Nice.

I am very happy with the Sprint service, but their website is awful and I am sick of it. Time to go.

I purchased the Pro Version of an app and installed it on the simless phone I use as a Strava recorder.

It seemed to want me to purchase it again for my actual phone, but when I got past the purchasing stage, it told me I already owned it. And the app would not download and install. It did seem to be encouraging me to try a family plan. But when I looked closely at that, it didn't seem to want to allow it to be funded by only Google cards.

Eventually I went to the Play Store on my computer, and, after fighting with advertising I eventually managed to find the Pro app and ask to send it to my phone. Except I'd left the phone turned off at the time I did the push.

After I turned the phone on, the app didn't seem to be arriving. But somehow when I found it back at the Play Store on that phone it now recognized I had purchased it and I was able to install it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....app.gpxviewer
    upgraded to
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....gpxviewer.pro

Administrator
    That's odd, it should be tied to your Google account regardless of SIM or even the presence of a SIM. I'm not aware of any apps that are restricted to a number of devices other than the actual owned-music playback on Google Music. Can still install the app though, just can't play unless it's one of the 10 authorized devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    It's the Sony Xperia 1 ii (Mark 2, like they do with their RX and alpha cameras)!
    I haven't seen an official price or release date yet ("Spring"), but Gizmodo is saying $1200 and June. I'm not happy about either of those, but this has nearly everything I could realistically ask for out of a 2020 smartphone so I'm probably going to get it.
    I bought a new TV before this phone was made available for sale (for $1200 in June just like the initial rumor, which is still too much and too late). That ate up my Best Buy credit, and the reviews just haven't been glowing enough for me to figure out a way around that. The big selling point is the manual controls in the Pro apps, but 1) those aren't that important to me, and 2) there are third party camera apps with manual controls. Aside from that the cameras are good, but not as consistently good as the Pixel's.
    Get that weak shit off my track