Page 90 of 91 FirstFirst ... 408088899091 LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

There is a universal messaging standard, RCS, and Apple refuses to use it and won't let Android phones it. They understand that the negative effect it has on users gives pressure to Android users to switch to iPhone, and prevents people from switching away from iPhone.

There are many other options for messaging that provide similar functionality to iMessage, but then you have to get your friends/family to sign up for it and share their information.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Where does MMS fit in here?

And for some (probably a very few) people a consideration is that SMS can be sent and received without a data plan.
    Last edited by SportWagon; August 1st, 2022 at 12:27 PM.

MMS sends the potato quality videos that were previously discussed.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Is there anyone still using SMS or anything out of the Whatsapp, Telegram or Facebook Messenger?
    I've friends with iPhones in here, none uses sms or iMessage anymore either: reality is on messenger apps, anything else is going the way of fax or telegraphy.
    Even my mother or grannies use Whatsapp here.

Interesting reasoning by SW there: in Italy at least SMS costs about 30 cent each. Usually one has a flat plan with unlimited calls AND unlimited SMS, but some, like me, does not even have any unlimited or free SMS, and do not care.
    Last time I sent an SMS must have been like 5 years ago or before.

Administrator
    Texting is still really common here in the US, and WhatsApp is almost non-existent. Telegram is purely for neo-nazi extremists.

I have my smartwatch set to only alert me to calls and text messages - not everything under the sun. This way important things get through to me, and idle chit chat is more on a check-in basis. I like that we use group texts while on team trips, it helps us organize and stay on the same page, and I don't constantly have to check an app to stay in the loop.

After a super quick look, the iPhone 13 Pro Max thingy is too big (like my Note9 is), and the 13 Pro is too small. I like me a medium sized phone. My OnePlus 5 was the perfect size.

I use 90% messenger, 5% text, 5% Whatsapp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Texting is still really common here in the US, and WhatsApp is almost non-existent. Telegram is purely for neo-nazi extremists.
    They really are a country alien to the rest of the world. LOL

Administrator
    Little update to my Pixel Buds Pro review - two major issues

1) They're not as secure in the ear than the far cheaper Buds a are. They fall out on a walk.

2) I'm suddenly getting repeated feedback noise from the left earbud. Like, every few seconds that high pitched sound of feedback builds up to a very loud level and then goes away.

My initial experience was so good, but after a few days I'm ready to RMA them. I had to yank them out of my ears about halfway through a walk today, the feedback loop just got too irritating.

That would definitely be annoying. Hopefully you get replacements soon, and there isn't a larger issue at hand. Do they not come with different size cups for different ears?

Been looking around a bit at new full size ANC headphones and the Sony XM5 looks to be a leader in both features and sound quality, with the freshly announced Sennheiser Momentum 4s putting up a strong argument. Probably going to go after one of them fairly soon. End the suffering* with the Bose sound.

*First world problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    There is a universal messaging standard, RCS, and Apple refuses to use it and won't let Android phones it. They understand that the negative effect it has on users gives pressure to Android users to switch to iPhone, and prevents people from switching away from iPhone.

There are many other options for messaging that provide similar functionality to iMessage, but then you have to get your friends/family to sign up for it and share their information.
    Great summary of the issue, Keith, as I learn more about it.

In recent related news: Will Apple bend to peer pressure? Half the world hopes so.