Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromebooks

Well, Chrome OS did just run over Kevin Ward at a dirt track, so I can see why.
    Whoomah!

I don't get ChromeOS at all - the point or the value - but I certainly wouldn't get my panties in a twist over it. Unless maybe someone brought one into the office and said, "I need you to install Word on this." Actually, I think that would make me laugh. A bitter, sarcastic laugh, but a laugh nonetheless.

It works fine for small, cheap, portable laptops for recreational/home use.

My Asus C720 cost me $150 as a factory refurb, cheaper than any halfway decent tablet with the same sized screen, and I like having a physical keyboard. My thinking was also that I'd get a small PC for gaming (or Steam Machine if they ever come out) and things that Chrome OS can't do, but that's been delayed due to home expenses, and my fiancee has her Lenovo Y400 that I can borrow anyway.

The only issue I've run into (besides a website or two not working properly with the Chrome web browser) is the inability to be able to connect to printers via USB, but that could've been avoided if I'd had the foresight to buy a printer with wireless networking.

Would I buy a Chromebook Pixel even if it was in my budget? Certainly not.

Do I think that a $150-300 Chromebook is a good alternative to cheap tablets? I certainly do. I have a phone with a 5" screen, so sub 8" tablets don't interest me in the slightest.

That's where I am at the moment, too, I'm considering a Chromebook simply as a lightweight travel device.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yeah, I just can't quite swallow the notion of a cloud client yet. Losing capability because I have no internet connection would really get in my way.

With what I actually do on my computer, especially while travelling, I feel like that's already the situation I'm in.

I don't do any 'real work' with a home laptop anyway, though I get 3.5GB of Hotspot data with my T-Mobile unlimited data plan.

Chromebook Pixel has been updated, with better internals and a lower starting price point ($1000).

http://gizmodo.com/googles-new-chrom...uya-1690797754

Conveniently announced the day after the new Macbook, it has USB-C charging ports on both sides, in addition to traditional USB ports and an SD card slot.

The general consensus is still likely to go something like this, at best:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmodo
    Should You Buy It

No. But I mean like, maaaaaaaaaaaybe? Nah. But then again…
    But it was never intended to sell well, and Google has been clear about that. You get a Pixel if you want to have a powerful, capable Chromebook for a specific task and can write it off/charge it to someone else. There is no other reason.

Well, other than lots of both curiosity and expendable income, but that works for anything.

PS there's also a $1300 model which Google described to Gizmodo as (their paraphrasing) "the more-than-you-could-ever-possibly-need version."
    Last edited by Kchrpm; March 11th, 2015 at 11:10 AM.

I feel like this is like the I'm Rich app, but in physical form.

I think that's what the $10,000+ Apple Watch is.