Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromebooks

Yeah, that too.

My laptop is the equivalent of the Pandora app.

New Chrome OS hardware announced today, based on ARM chips by Rockwell. Cheap mobile hardware, basically. I'm interested in the HDMI stick to just plug into my TV to replace my Logitech Revue, or the convertible notebook, to use as I used to use my tablet. Except that it's too big for that use.

Chromebit HDMI Stick - $100

This summer, ASUS will launch a new type of Chrome device: the Chromebit. Smaller than a candy bar, the Chromebit is a full computer that will be available for less than $100. By simply plugging this device into any display, you can turn it into a computer. It’s the perfect upgrade for an existing desktop and will be really useful for schools and businesses.
    ASUS Chromebook Flip 11" Convertible Notebook - $250

A premium, all-metal convertible, it’s ultra-portable—just 15mm thin and weighing less than two pounds. The Chromebook Flip has a great keyboard and a touch screen for immersive experiences like gaming and educational apps.
    El cheapo Chromebooks from Haier and Hisense - $150

Today we're introducing two new devices that meet both criteria: the Haier Chromebook 11 (available at Amazon) and the Hisense Chromebook (available at Walmart). These new Chromebooks are fast, lightweight, have all-day battery life
    Get that weak shit off my track

What makes Chromebit different from Android-on-a-stick devices that have been out for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    What makes Chromebit different from Android-on-a-stick devices that have been out for a while?
    The fact that it is not a media streaming device but a full-blown (albeit probably very limited) computer?

EDIT: http://www.androidcentral.com/google...ter-hdmi-stick ChromeOS computer. 2GB Ram, 16GB onboard storage.

I am not talking about streaming sticks, I'm talking about computers. Like a MK808II (1gb RAM, 8gb storage, dual core Cortex A9) or a UG007B (2gb RAM, 16gb storage, quad core A9). Both have been less than $60 since 2013 and come running Android 4.x, have Bluetooth, wireless, etc.

Will most mouses work when plugged into a Chromebook? I nearly always use a mouse instead of a touchpad on my c. 2010 10.1" netbook. (HDD). But then I use it as essentially an underpowered general-purpose computer. Ubuntu 10.04 didn't put a lot of demands on hardware. But some things are somewhat impractical. E.g. Android SDK and Wine. Although they do work.
    (So [most] Chromebooks aren't touchscreen?)

And then again, the other day, I wondered why the screen on that netbook wasn't responding to my touches...

It would be nice if you could stick an ethernet cable into the Chromebit. Otherwise you have to keep WiFi signals working, and not obscured by the TV itself. [Raspberry Pi]
    Last edited by SportWagon; March 31st, 2015 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    It runs Chrome OS, not Android. There's a Windows 8.1 on-a-stick device out there, too, FWIU, it's not a new segment.

I get that... so the answer is nothing, it just comes with ChromeOS rather than you having to load it. I wondered if the hardware was special in some way. Sounds like no.

The hardware is using the new Rockwell ARM chips, so no.

And now for something completely different, an Nvidia K1-powered all-in-one.

http://www.androidcentral.com/acer-a...one-chromebase