Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Chromebooks

Development mode means root? Do you do Linux using the UserLand Android app?

Administrator
    Developer mode basically does mean root. I tried using it for a bit because I wanted to spoof my MAC while on the cruise ship, as they limit you to a certain number of devices at a time. It's also super annoying because it's constantly pestering you every time you start about how unsafe it is, and every time you switch in or out of it it wipes your machine.

You used to have to use developer mode to use Linux, but now they've got a VM that you can just enable in the settings. It works pretty well, I got a go compiler installed on it and then was using VSCode with a remote head to run the IDE in the browser, complete with interactive debugger. It's actually kinda an awesome little development machine if you're using a language like go or rust. Unfortunately, VSCode shit the bed about a year ago when it came to go support, and Goland doesn't run on the Chromebook since it's a massive Java app based on IntelliJ.

Administrator
    Ahh, of note, you cannot run other VMs from within the VM, so that rules out booting Windows into a VM on it. Still, not surprising, just like trying to run a docker container in a docker container is generally a bad idea.

UserLAnd, like various other Android Linux implementations, is actually a chroot. In the case of UserLAnd, it is an unprivileged chroot which means file permissions sometimes get odd, and some things won't work, e.g. "ping".

But it's a lot lighter weight than a full VM (it runs on the same kernel). On some of my old Android tablets, I would run some of the earlier chroots rooted, and you got more complete abilities that way. I mostly use such an environment to allow me to rsync data out. Ideally, I manage to ssh in and run command windows on my workstation or laptop.

Cruise ships, heh, no-one's going to be on one of those for a while.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    UserLAnd, like various other Android Linux implementations, is actually a chroot. In the case of UserLAnd, it is an unprivileged chroot which means file permissions sometimes get odd, and some things won't work, e.g. "ping".

But it's a lot lighter weight than a full VM (it runs on the same kernel). On some of my old Android tablets, I would run some of the earlier chroots rooted, and you got more complete abilities that way. I mostly use such an environment to allow me to rsync data out. Ideally, I manage to ssh in and run command windows on my workstation or laptop.
    It sounds like the previous version of this, "Crouton" was a chroot. "Crostini" that runs on all the modern ones is a full-fledged VM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Cruise ships, heh, no-one's going to be on one of those for a while.
    Man, I can't believe how close we cut it to when ports started denying cruise ships. I'm so happy I'm not stuck on one of those floating petri dishes right now.

Man, this is what I get for asking a question in a forum of NERDS

Administrator
    I resent that accusation. Me and my anime pillow are going home.