Thread: R9 290 fan failure?

R9 290 fan failure?

One of the fans just doesn't spin up at any time. It's an MSI R9 290 (I think not a 290X) that I bought, secondhand, after my XFX 7970 was murdered by the jungle level in COD Ghosts (and probably several months of Einstein project folding). I wouldn't be surprised if it's just dead, given that the guy selling it was using it as part of a mad Bitcoin folding rig and had about 5-10 of them.

I have pulled out and re-inserted the power plugs into the card, no joy.

I have on my list the following things to do, any suggestions etc. (particularly as to order in which I should do things) are welcome:

1. Unplug it and see if the fan on my old 7970 (which I still have) spins up. This is probably the quickest way of solving the problem, for one would assume that if the 7970 boots up and all fans spin on that, I can presumably eliminate the PSU and software as a problem, and quickly conclude that the 290's fan/card is dead. However, it is the most bothersome as I've never been comfortable pulling out and reseating PCI-E cards for some reason.

2. Uninstall Afterburner? Twiddling with the settings doesn't help increase the fan speed at all.

3. Full uninstall and reinstall of Catalyst drivers? Note that just reinstalling the latest version freezes Windows with the only way out being hard rest.

If card/cooler is fuxx0r3d, I could install a new cooler on it OR buy a new card. Since I won't know how much of the card is fuxx0r3d, I'm inclined to just get another card. Any suggestions? Thinking maybe a GTX 970 which I can use for at least 2 more years, and possibly move over to a Core i7-5xxx rig if I build one next year, which will depend on how good/bad that generation is. I can also probably get another secondhand R9 290 from the same dude for a lower price, as he's a friend of a friend.

Is the card overheating? Do you suspect there is a problem with the fan being off? Maybe it's just not hot enough to need the fan, or the software is set to keep the fan off?

I would start with software. I had a similar problem with an AMD card years ago and it was some software interaction at the core.

Ok, I ran furmark but didn't let it get pas 70 deg as I was worried about burning out this card too. I'll run it again in h4rdc0r3111!1!!!1!!1 mode and see.

I'd expect the fan to come on at 70'C. I suspect the fan is busted mate.

As did I. Will try in a bit.

Hit 89 deg and the fan was still off. I think the card is done.

Bought GTX970.

Removed 290X. Tried old 7970. Both fans spun up.

Installed GTX970. Seems to be going well so far.

My head messenger is getting my old 7970/290X to play around with them if he wants. Maybe he can move the cooler from the 7970 to the 290X or something.

Gtx970 still going strong 8 years later. Replaced it with a secondhand 3070 that my friend had used for mining, but it did some weird stuff on the screen so I changed it back to the 970. May need to change the fan on the 3070.

Sadly I never used any of these cards for mining bitcoin or eth, although I did mine some doge for laughs for a while.