Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange cell phone problem: old "dumb phone" is frozen, trying to connect to bluetooth. For days!

Strange cell phone problem: old "dumb phone" is frozen, trying to connect to bluetooth. For days!

Answer: Get a damn iPhone like your wife and stop whining at us.

Signed,

Everyone reading this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, now that that's out of the way, I have a Sony Ericsson C905a, which was a great camera-phone in its day, with the emphasis on CAMERA. 8.1 megapixel, and looks a lot more like a camera than a telephone. I got it when our kids were maybe two years old - they'll be six in May, and it has been a superb device to carry for my needs - a telephone so my wife can ask me to get milk on the way home from work and a camera to document our kids' lives so far. I have thousands of pictures of them taken with this camera, and of course all the silly car sightings and bicycle and guitar pictures I bore you guys with.

A few days ago - Monday, I think, and now it's Friday morning, I left the USB cable for this phone in my car and rather than walk over to the parking garage to get it, I attempted to connect to my laptop here at work via bluetooth to transfer some pictures I took over the weekend for the Cycling thread.

I turned on Bluetooth on the laptop and the phone, made each visible, etc. Since then - on Monday morning - my phone has been "frozen" on a screen showing a progress bar just spinning but not doing anything and a message saying: "[Name of my laptop] Adding - The other device must enter same passcode".

Nothing ever displayed on the laptop and I wanted to cancel the whole thing because I had the cable anyway, but I can't get the phone to do anything at all. I can't turn it off, I can't make a call, and I can't get to any other screen or menu. I can't access the camera function, which usually turns on when I open the lens door on the front. Or back. Whichever side that is.

I can, however, answer incoming calls. I know because I called it from my office phone and left both phones off the hook for about an hour, thinking I'd kill the battery. I had foolishly just charged it, thinking that plugging it into the computer via USB might trigger something to change on the phone. No dice. I hung up after about an hour when I realized I didn't want to get killed for minutes on the next bill. I have the most minimum plan available because I rarely call anyone on the cell other than my wife and the occasional craigslist guitar deal, but that's pretty rare. I don't text, either.

Anyway, that was Monday and this thing won't die. It still has a good 50% charge left!

Oh well, I don't expect anyone here to have any specific solution, but talking about this is more fun than working on a Friday morning when I got my week's work done in 40 hours Monday - Thursday and now can just play catch-up with the less urgent stuff.

I haven't googled even once, well, except to find the picture above. Does anyone make an equivalent phone to this today - I'd like a basic telephone, texting capability unimportant, no smart anything, NO ADDITIONAL MONTHLY FEES TO USE IT, and a nice camera built in?

I suspect what I have is on its last legs and was probably the last of the cool dumb phones - sort of like the "missing link" between the old rubber-encased Nokias that everyone had it the early '00s and todays computer-phones that everyone but me carries around.

Hey, I dig iPhones. My wife has one. But I REFUSE to pay even a penny more a month, simply because I work a mere five miles from my house and I am overwhelmed with computing power in both places, and if I needed to borrow her iPhone for some reason, like the trip to Nevada that my company keeps threatening me with, I could borrow hers.

Assuming there's nothing like I have now anymore, are the cameras in cheap flip-phones any good these days? Seems like just a few years ago you never heard "cell phone picture" without the word "crappy" first. I wouldn't mind springing for a $25 (or whatever they cost) flip-phone if it will take pictures as well as my 8.1 megapixel one does.

You can't just pull the battery to reset it?
    Whoomah!

Don't know how to access the battery. Seriously. Will google. Thanks.

Apparently it's major surgery. This video is over seven minutes long.

There isn't a door to open as on most other battery-powered things.

Instead of tearing into my phone, I'll just keep waiting for it to die, but wow, this sure is taking a long time. Sometimes my phone will lose a charge in a day but now it's apparently in Marathon Mode.

Last edited by George; April 4th, 2014 at 08:43 AM.

Ah, you have one of those phones. Sucks to be you.
    Whoomah!

Nah, my life is great lately. This is trivial.

Here's my latest soooper-genius moment:

Just called my cell phone from my desk phone and answered it. I had access to the Menu while the call was active! Awesome! So I turned Bluetooth (which I never use anyway) back to OFF, where it belongs, returned to the main screen, and triumphantly hung up.

Ha!

Oh, what's this?

"[Name of my laptop] Adding - The other device must enter same passcode".

Sucks to be me.

I take it holding the power button for ten seconds does nothing?

If it's any consolation, iPhones sometimes get stuck in an infinite Bluetooth loop too. We've had to dispose of a couple of them for that reason.

Alan, that's correct. I've held it down for a minute or two.

It's not a bad problem to have - I don't need to call anyone, but it's just strange.

Often devices without a removable battery will have a Reset button hidden behind a pinhole. I can't find info on it for that phone, though...
    Get that weak shit off my track

Wanna Fight?
    While you're on a call from another phone, can you not navigate to the settings menu and perform a master settings reset?
    Last edited by Rob; April 5th, 2014 at 01:12 AM.