Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Tanks

World of Tanks

It took some work, but I just bought the tier VIII American artillery, M40/M43. I tried it out and it put me in a tier X game. However, it seems to aim faster than the M12. Reload seems about the same.

I just realized that the more powerful gun on the M40/M43 can only fire once per minute. Yikes!
    Last edited by Cam; January 7th, 2014 at 07:34 PM.

It seems I lost all my tanks and money. I checked their forum and it seems I'm not the only one with the issue. The solution seems to be log on to a different server (There is no option to choose a different server), or log in repeatedly until your tanks come back.

It worked on the second try. Whew!

Firstly - Old thread

Phew, that must have been unpleasant! You can change servers though, it is under Start -> Options -> "Game" tab.
    I don't know if you'll have to restart the game for the server change to take effect though.

Artillery is the one class where I don't mind being up against the higher tiers. You should be safely hidden away in some corner of the map anyway, and if the rest of the team does their job (big if!) you should remain unspotted for the duration of the match.
    Higher tier tanks yield more points, and they're usually quite slow. Win.

Speaking of remaining unspotted, I've taken to using the time between artillery reloads to look for signs of the enemy arty. It is mainly a matter of keeping an eye on the usual spots, and look for telltale signs like falling trees and muzzle flashes. I've managed to take out a couple that way, very satisfying.

I do that sometimes as well. I've gotten more than a few kills that way.

Had a nice finish to a match yesterday. I'm using the M40/M43 on Mountain Pass. It's nearing the end of the match and there's only a few tanks left on both teams. I'm in the very back corner behind our base hiding in a bush with a camo net. Another artillery tank was up ahead, to my left, in plain view. There's three other tanks on our team and they're nearing the enemy base, but still fighting other tanks. I noticed on the map that an enemy TD eliminated the platoon in the valley to my right and I figured he was moving in on the base. If I can stay hidden, the enemy tank will spot the other artillery and be distracted long enough for me to get the kill. Sure enough the enemy TD rolls into the base and takes the bait. He turns and moves toward the pigeon (sorry teammate, but you left yourself open) exposing his tender rear-end open for penetration. I line him up and... miss! (I hear that happens to a lot of guys.) FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF... Miraculously, I'm not spotted because he was looking the other way. The red guy eliminates my teammate, but backs up into the circle, directly towards me. It takes about 30 seconds to reload, but I one-shot him on the second try. The rest of my remaining team capture the base. I can only assume the last enemy tank was cowering in a grotto somewhere.

Had my first encounter with griefers in this game. Two two teammates just constantly ramming me the whole game. I pretty much just sat there and took it while I gave them negative feedback. We lost, of course.

I don't understand why people would do that. Childish troll behaviour.
    I've thankfully only had something deliberate like that happen once. Some guy tried to block me as we were rolling out on Sand River, turret turned backwards to check his fine work and everything. Fortunately he gave it up after a little while.

Then there's the idiots who bump into you and ruin your aim/ camo/ binoculars, or those who roll in front of you just as you are about to fire, but that's a whole other story.

In other news, I'm up to the Patton in american mediums, my first tier 9 tank, but it's quite a grind to the final package with the tier 9 gun. Maybe I'll exchange some gold, it's not like I get to keep it once the beta is over.

There we were. It was just Gimpy and I left against five enemies in Sand River. We take up defensive positions at our base and wait. He's on the ridge spotting while I take cover behind a rock because I'm in artillery (M40/M43). I figure the only way I'll survive is to get the drop on an invader and one-shot them at point-blank range. I'm in a spot where I'll have a side-on shot at the next tank that comes my way.

It doesn't take too long before a T20 zips in to the base. I aim carefully and blast him into the tumbleweeds. He didn't even spot me. Gimpy spots a guy and we combine fire to bring it down to 3 on 2. He spots another guy and we take him down. Gimpy spots the last tank and finishes him before I can even see where he is. Only one artillery tank left.

Gimpy starts rolling toward the base north of the river while I go south east. One of our dead teammates is alerting us to the bottom-right sector where arty was spotted earlier. I have OK view range on my upgraded arty. I hoped he didn't have the same upgrades because he was in the same vehicle. Sure enough he was there but he didn't spot me. He ran and I missed with a half-assed shell. Gimpy and I roll into his position and I spot him first. I figure he can't get us both. Sadly for my enemy, he panic-shot and missed me. I had loads of time now. I got right in his face so I wouldn't miss and blew him to smithereens with 205mm of satisfaction. What a come-back! Gimpy and I exchanged "Good game" messages after.

In other news, I twice earned over 50,000 silver in one game with the T29. My most lucrative games yet.

In other news, my win percentage is only 50. :embarassed:

In other news, I got the Patton the other day.

Heh, cool.

I tend to remember the absurd games.
    Once I was on Mountain Pass, playing arty, starting out at the bottom and sitting behind the base, along with two other artys and a heavy with nobody home.

The game went pretty well for a while, our team made it to their base, but were unfortunately wiped out, with only the people on our base remaining. I watched the couple of enemy heavies start out towards our base.
    One of the fellow arties must have had the same thought as me at the same time, because we both started down the icy valley like two fat old women, holding our skirts up as we crossed the icy streams, trundling along.
    As we passed below the bridge, the enemy arty was detected, and he must have detected us, because I could almost feel a big fat ! appear over his head. We nevertheless continued towards the enemy base.

As we rolled in, enemy arty came from the opposite direction.

He fired at me, and missed.
    I fired at him, and missed.
    My team mate fired at him, and missed.
    He fired at my team mate, and missed.
    I rammed his side, fired, and didn't miss.

Meanwhile, our team mates had disappeared off the map, and the siren had begun wailing.
    In the end we couldn't keep up with their occupation counter, and lost the game, but only barely.

I haven't played all that much lately. I now have some of the tanks I used to fear, but I seem to mostly be matchmade with stronger opposition, so I'm not exactly dominating the battlefield.

The Patton is cool but not much use with the first packages IMO, so I ended up exchanging some gold to get to the top package. It is good, but I think I did better with the Pershing.

My win percentage was also around 50% the last time I checked. This is battle wins, though. It would be interesting to see the Kill/ Death ratio, but I don't think you can.

The beta ends on January 29. The game will then be up after a while, initially only for beta participants.

The Beta Is Ending and Servers Will Go Offline January 29th

World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition game servers will be taken down on January 29, 07:00 UTC (Jan. 28 23:00 PST) for a few days in preparation for the final release. Players will not be able to log in during this time. Please stay tuned for another update on your early access to the release version of the game.

What Changes Will I Notice When the Server Is Back Online?

The game will be live for Beta participants only
    In-game purchases will be implemented and retained going forward
    Tank awards earned during the Beta will be in your Garage
    In-game progress will be reset (earned tanks, XP, Silver, and Gold)
    Game Avatars and Achievements will be available
    Link

Tanks reset? Booo!