Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen XL1

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I'm a little shocked that given the range anxiety that holds people back from pure electrics wouldn't prompt more manufacturers to offer different types of compromise cars... give us back our range at the expense of size or power. Seems weird that everyone has latched onto 3000lb 100-mile cars instead of investigating 2000lb 1000 mile cars.
    3,000 lbs. 100-mile electric sedans/5-doors (with an additional 200+ miles of ICE range extension) is the sweet spot. Make it happen, someone!!

Not sure that's possible without giving something serious up. You're talking about something like an 1980 Honda Accord with ~600lbs of batteries on it. I don't think 2014 America would accept a 1980 Honda Accord as a reasonable facsimile of a four place sedan, even if 1980 America did. The oldest 4-place cars I can think of that would pass for a modern 4-place car (but still on the small side) were already approaching or exceeding 3000lbs, and you'd still need to add the electric drive and modern safety equipment. The 500e has about equivalent interior volume to a 1980 Accord, and it's already over 3000lbs without an ICE. Alternatively put, you're talking about adding ~400ish pounds to a Nissan Leaf which already can't hit 100 miles. You'd need to move to really exotic materials to get that weight back down to the point of having 100 miles of electric-only range.

Either that or you end up with a boat like a Tesla. There just isn't the technology to build your dream. I'm sorry to tell you that. But my dream, my dream is achievable. Let's focus on that.

Bullshit! The Leaf hits it close enough, just add ICE and stir.

I'm kinda shocked nobody has mounted a 1.4l Ecotec on a trailer and sold it to electric car owners as a mobile charger.

Great idea!
    Like those trailers Plymouth sold for the Prowler.
    -Formerly Stabulator

I bet you could stick one of those on an electric car and not impact the HOV status in CA *and* not have to fuss with emissions, although you'd probably still be subject to California's industrial motor emissions requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I'm kinda shocked nobody has mounted a 1.4l Ecotec on a trailer and sold it to electric car owners as a mobile charger.
    For the record, the Focus BEV does not allow you to charge it while driving.

Trust me, we have contemplated this at work.

I am pretty sure the Fiat won't either.

But that's just software.

I think TSGs solution is best.

A small, light, range limited electric car that suits your needs, and a ICE powered luxury sedan for longer trips.

I already have my E320 (he has his Jag) and all i'd need to do is add a small electric vehicle.

Truth is, right now, our battery capability right now is going to limit range, or increase mass when trying to counter the range limitations. Aero can only take you so far.

It's difficult enough finding one parking space in Chicago... and that will cost you upwards of $200/month. Paying double that or even finding another parking spot somewhere would be damn near impossible.
    And can you imagine if all 2+ million people in Chicago had two cars?!?