Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 WRX / WRX STi

Get that weak shit off my track

I wonder why Jalopnik used a rendering when photos of the actual car are available: http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/...10_630429.html (or, I suppose, why Subaru provided renderings, when the actual car is available).

http://www.drivingsports.com/site/20...bigger-bolder/

Looks aside, this is the most comprehensive technical/feature breakdown I've seen thus far.

The Goods:
    +the STI retains the Driver Controlled Center Differential
    +more high-tensile steel than before, numerous stiffening elements to improve handling
    +wheelbase has been increased by exactly one inch (up to 104.3-inches)
    +firmer shocks from the factory
    +steering rack ratio of 13.0:1 with 2.5-turns, lock-to-lock
    +Active Torque Vectoring
    +Low beam LED headlights
    +Launch Edition includes 18-inch gold BBS wheels, World Rally Blue paint, Alcantara interior, keyless start and a special STI short-throw shifter.

The Bads:
    -peak horsepower (305 at 6,000 rpm) and peak torque (290 lb.-ft at 4,000 rpm) are all identical to the outgoing model (seriously? You can't squeeze out a few more hp?)
    -overall length is up a whopping 7 inches (to 180.9) (I currently drive (and prefer) the hatch, which is 6.5" shorter than the current sedan... therefore the new sedan would be 13.5" longer than what I have now)
    -ground clearance has dropped from 6.1-inches to a scant 4.9-inches (I've hit/scraped the bottom of the car multiple times on stage roads... the first year I had the car I destroyed the front bumper twice.... once on a highway, and once on a stage. 1.2" lower wouldn't be an option for me... I'm actually looking to raise my WRX.)
    -a standard 3.5-inch LCD (displays various functions and settings) and a second 4.3-inch LCD above the center console (rear-view camera, boost gauge, bluetooth, climate systems and VDC activity) (Extra weight... really necessary?)
    -STI Limited upgrades the base model with an 8-way power seat, 18-inch BBS wheels, leather interior and an Harman/Kardon premium audio system (again... extra weight)

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    No different from my BRZ Limited, which adds all the luxury items and thus weighs more than the standard model BRZ.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Another "no difference" to the BRZ is the ride height... 4.9".

Huh?

STi drivers won't be found hooning on gravel backroads too much any more.

Personally I liked the very first North American STi... pure performance, strip out the extra/heavy bits. No automatic climate control, no heated seats, etc. (Remember the first-gen Type R Integras? No A/C in the white ones.) It'd be great if a "Type RA" STi was available... Japan'll get one, we won't.

Somewhat amusingly, the looks are ingrowing (shrinking?) On me.

It's definitely a case of "looks better from some angles, worse from others"...

I think I may be hanging onto my WRX longer than initially planned. My lease will be up at the end of August... I might just buy out the car and keep it to play (rally weekends and snow-days) and get something else (econo-box?) as a daily driver. With a full tank approaching $100 (of 91 octane... not the 94 an STi requires) it kinda' doesn't make sense to drive 30k+ per year.

Yeah, it's very slab-sided from some angles. Then again, most STIs aren't pretty.

I'm waiting for the new Legacy and the Levorg. Then we'll see. Just changed the front Bilsteins on the Legacy anyway, and am waiting for new speaker cones.

I think it's the rear fender that makes me say "no" the most. Just looks so tall above the wheel.

I think it's the best looking since 2005.